Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
Cowrie

Default Interaction between "Doesn't Stack with Armor" and Piecemeal Armor?

In Dungeon Fantasy Denizens - Barbarians, we're given the limitation for DR "Doesn't Stack with Armor", that makes it so either DR taken with that limitation or DR from armor applies, whichever is higher. However, I'm unclear how they interact when the armor only covers certain hit locations. For example, take a shirtless savage barbarian that has DR 3 (Doesn’t Stack With Armor, -20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [6]. Say he chooses to wear a pot-helm, granting DR 4 to his skull. That would override his DR advantage, but since it only applies to the skull hit location, would he keep his natural DR for all other hit locations? Or would it be entirely negated?

For that matter, what about when the level DR from the limited advantage and a piece of armor match? Using that same DR 3 barbarian, what if he puts on a pair of bronze greaves, which are also have DR 3? I tend to think the DR from the greaves would be given priority, since being "unmodified" DR, they're superior to his natural DR that includes Tough Skin, but what does the community think?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Interaction between "Doesn't Stack with Armor" and Piecemeal Armor?

My instinct is that it should apply to all the locations not covered by armour at a minimum. Not certain how I would rule in the case of armour with less DR than the advantage gives... possibly let the controlling player choose which applies.

If the intent was that the entire advantage shut down while wearing any armour, that seems like it would have been phrased as Accessibility (Not While Wearing Armor) or something.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Railstar

They don't stack with armour, but do overlap.

So for instance, a barbarian with DR 3 (Tough Skin, Doesn't Stack with Armour) wearing DR 2 layered cloth would benefit from the unmodified DR against attacks that do 2 or less damage. An attack that did 3 damage would do no injury to him, but still pierce the skin and the limitations of Tough Skin would apply.

Essentially, "doesn't stack" means you use whichever one is better for wherever you get hit. One piece of armour isn't going to erase your natural DR everywhere else. It doesn't even erase your DR on the location being armoured, it just doesn't stack - you don't add them together.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Say he chooses to wear a pot-helm, granting DR 4 to his skull. That would override his DR advantage, but since it only applies to the skull hit location, would he keep his natural DR for all other hit locations? Or would it be entirely negated?
He'd keep his natural DR for all other locations.
Quote:
For that matter, what about when the level DR from the limited advantage and a piece of armor match? Using that same DR 3 barbarian, what if he puts on a pair of bronze greaves, which are also have DR 3? I tend to think the DR from the greaves would be given priority, since being "unmodified" DR, they're superior to his natural DR that includes Tough Skin, but what does the community think?
The greaves take priority. He might well not be willing to wear them, mind you.

GURPS, in general, tries to have a reasonable physical reality for the game world, and to depart as little from that as possible. The "put on a helmet and your chest is easier to harm" style of interpretation comes from giving rules priority over game-world reality,
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
My instinct is that it should apply to all the locations not covered by armour at a minimum. Not certain how I would rule in the case of armour with less DR than the advantage gives... possibly let the controlling player choose which applies
That's both how I've run it and how I've seen it run.

Examples often include the Naked Barbarian who wears gauntlets, boots, and a helm (the boots and gauntlets for touching/stepping in contact agents, the helm because you can get much higher DRs on a good pot helm and the head is good to protect).

Also note that 'Doesn't Stack With Armor' does stack with 'force fields' so the Armor spell and Ironskin Amulet both work as advertised.

Note to the True Munchkins out there: Make a Barbarian Ogre for the ultimate in Naked Armour (DR 10/12 Tough Skin/TS Crushing Only). ++ for eventually getting Magic Resistance and Immunity to Environmental hazards. And you can't beat a ST 39 max (40 if you've got a really nice GM) and Mountain of Meat...

This does require picking up DF Denizens Barbarians though...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
Cowrie

What you've all been saying makes sense. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
In Dungeon Fantasy Denizens - Barbarians, we're given the limitation for DR "Doesn't Stack with Armor", that makes it so either DR taken with that limitation or DR from armor applies, whichever is higher. However, I'm unclear how they interact when the armor only covers certain hit locations. For example, take a shirtless savage barbarian that has DR 3 (Doesn’t Stack With Armor, -20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [6]. Say he chooses to wear a pot-helm, granting DR 4 to his skull. That would override his DR advantage, but since it only applies to the skull hit location, would he keep his natural DR for all other hit locations? Or would it be entirely negated?

Doesn't stack with armor isn't the same thing as "not while wearing armor". All it means is that you don't get to add your skin DR to actual armour you are wearing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote