Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Ploo

Default Game Play Clarification

Hello all!

I just recently purchased Munchkin Marvel Edition and had a group of friends over to play. One friend drew a monster card for his door kick.....this monster states, "When this monster enters combat the player(s) suffer the effects of the top two trap cards in the discard pile."

My understanding is that, traps (which are for all intensive purposes, a curse) are to be resolved in the order in which they come out/are drawn. In this instance, one trap was pulled from the discard and placed on the table (into play) prior to the second trap being pulled and played.

This action stemmed a disagreement on my behalf due to the fact that one trap had been placed prior to the second, since the rules state traps immediately take effect. My friend's argument was that...since he had a card to use, that cancelled any trap, he could say the traps were applied at once...thus being able to select which trap of the two he wanted to cancel.

The monster card did not say to, "suffer the effects of the top two traps in the discard pile at the same time." My friend also argued that the immediate application of the traps is only when they're drawn out of a door pile as opposed to a discard, which is no longer considered to be a "a draw." Any clarification would be greatly appreciated :) .
Ploo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Game Play Clarification

The card does not say suffer the top two Traps in the discard pile, it says suffer their effects. You can't cancel them. (But if it matters for other reasons, the effects are resolved in whichever order the victim prefers.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Ploo

Default Re: Game Play Clarification

Thanks for the clarification :)
Ploo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curses, munchkin, munchkin marvel, traps