Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [Infinite Worlds] Compiling a list of canonical ways to cross quanta

I'm trying to compile a list of canonical ways to cross quanta in the Infinite Worlds setting:
  • Homeline's projectors and Centrum's stations, obviously
  • Nexus portals (but we lack canonical examples of specific ones that cross quanta)
  • At least some psionic world jumpers (including Walter "Wally" Tierly from Pyramid #3/63, but not Reich-5 mules)
  • The Plane Shift spell (Cabal and possible others, can't be used to leave no-mana worlds)
  • Spirit-jumpers (Cabal and possibly others)
  • Möbius (quantum 4 to quantum 7 or vice-versa only)
  • Eleusis Alesia (connects Britanica-7 and Wyvern, both Q4, to Johnson's Rome, which is Q5)
  • Auer Retail (Pyramid #3/63, every quanta, but only TL6+ worldlines with capitalism, and probably only a minority of those; not found on Homeline)
  • I-776 ("almost every worldline with a U.S. interstate highway system")
  • The magical rafter used by the first Patrolman to ever visit Yrth.
  • Banestorms, probably (do we have canonical examples of banestorms crossing quanta?)
  • Many shiftrealms, probably
  • The White Stag, probably
  • Edit: potentially any parachonozoid with the Tunnel enhancement, which is most of them, unless restricted to one quantum (or careful not to let anyone follow it)

Also, here are canonical references to Reich-5 operating on quanta 4 and 5, but so far I haven't been able to find canonical citations for specific methods—the Chronobahn seems likely, but it's possible the Chronobahn is limited to quantum 3 and Reich-5 has accessed other quanta through, say, nexus portals.

What have I missed? Additional specific cases of general methods would be appreciated.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 01-19-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added parachonozoids in general, added umlaut, added missing bullet
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
awesomenessofme1

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] Compiling a list of canonical ways to cross quanta

I would probably include parachronozoids in general. The Gotha virus somehow traveling from one worldline to another on at least four different quanta with no clear method might be worth a mention. It's implied, though never directly stated that I can remember, that Azathothic magic could allow travel between worlds, even with no mana.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #3
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] Compiling a list of canonical ways to cross quanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I would probably include parachronozoids in general. The Gotha virus somehow traveling from one worldline to another on at least four different quanta with no clear method might be worth a mention. It's implied, though never directly stated that I can remember, that Azathothic magic could allow travel between worlds, even with no mana.
Good catch on parachronozoids—I included the white stag, but IW73 explicitly says "most" have the Tunnel enhancement. The Gotha virus might be a case of parallel development, I think—something that the Infinite Worlds seem to have improbable quantities of. And re: Azoth, is this just because Azoth-7 seems to be something like a skerry, or are there other things that make you suspect alchemical means of world-jumping?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Good catch on parachronozoids—I included the white stag, but IW73 explicitly says "most" have the Tunnel enhancement. The Gotha virus might be a case of parallel development, I think—something that the Infinite Worlds seem to have improbable quantities of. And re: Azoth, is this just because Azoth-7 seems to be something like a skerry, or are there other things that make you suspect alchemical means of world-jumping?
I said "Azathothic", as in Mythos. Although I think the specific term is only used in Worlds of Horror to describe Taft-1, so I should have been more clear.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I said "Azathothic", as in Mythos. Although I think the specific term is only used in Worlds of Horror to describe Taft-1, so I should have been more clear.
Oh yeah—for Taft-1 to be a threat to other worldlines, it works best if that world's "magic" can cross worldlines. Though maybe the worry is just cultist!Stalin stealing a conveyor. Speaking of, apparently there's a nexus portal connecting Merlin-1 (Q3) to Taft-1 (Q6). It's the first example of a specific nexus portal I've seen outside the Engstrom skerry.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
cptbutton

Quote:
I'm trying to compile a list of canonical ways to cross quanta in the Infinite Worlds setting:

What have I missed? Additional specific cases of general methods would be appreciated.
Eleusis Alesia, IW p. 79
Quote:
This ley line runs through a number of worlds on a number of quanta, including Britannica-7, Johnson’s Rome, and Wyvern.
Possibly MÖBIUS, IW p. 141 depending on how you define things. Conveyors can jump to Q7 lines, and possibly Q4, it isn't clear.

Edit: Possibly Pyramid 3/20 with Psionic Teleportation, Quantum-Jumping, p. 6

Last edited by cptbutton; 01-19-2021 at 04:29 PM.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Eleusis Alesia, IW p. 79

Possibly MÖBIUS, IW p. 141 depending on how you define things. Conveyors can jump to Q7 lines, and possibly Q4, it isn't clear.
Got these in the OP (except for the umlaut, I guess).

Quote:
Edit: Possibly Pyramid 3/20 with Psionic Teleportation, Quantum-Jumping, p. 6
I'm filing that under "psionic world jumpers".
Old 01-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
cptbutton

Quote:
Got these in the OP (except for the umlaut, I guess).

I'm filing that under "psionic world jumpers".
You're right. Sorry.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
  • Homeline's projectors and Centrum's stations, obviously
  • Nexus portals (but we lack canonical examples of specific ones that cross quanta)
  • At least some psionic world jumpers (including Walter "Wally" Tierly from Pyramid #3/63, but not Reich-5 mules)
  • The Plane Shift spell (Cabal and possible others, can't be used to leave no-mana worlds)
  • Spirit-jumpers (Cabal and possibly others)
  • Möbius (quantum 4 to quantum 7 or vice-versa only)
  • Eleusis Alesia (connects Britanica-7 and Wyvern, both Q4, to Johnson's Rome, which is Q5)
  • Auer Retail (Pyramid #3/63, every quanta, but only TL6+ worldlines with capitalism, and probably only a minority of those; not found on Homeline)
  • The magical rafter used by the first Patrolman to ever visit Yrth.
  • Banestorms, probably (do we have canonical examples of banestorms crossing quanta?)
  • Many shiftrealms, probably
  • The White Stag, probably
  • Edit: potentially any parachonozoid with the Tunnel enhancement, which is most of them, unless restricted to one quantum (or careful not to let anyone follow it)

Also, here are canonical references to Reich-5 operating on quanta 4 and 5, but so far I haven't been able to find canonical citations for specific methods—the Chronobahn seems likely, but it's possible the Chronobahn is limited to quantum 3 and Reich-5 has accessed other quanta through, say, nexus portals.

Red Moon is effectively Möbius on steroids.

There are several things that suggest this is a quantum anomaly.

*"The Infinity Patrol is monitoring this timeline closely, as they know that Centrum is very interested in it, though they aren’t sure why." Infinity Patrol isn't sure why Centrum is interested in a Quantum 5 reality that Centrum can access?! Potential access to Homeline immediately springs to mind...unless Infinity Patrol somehow doesn't know the reality is actually in Quantum 5. Which means Infinity's equipment must be reading this reality as Quantum 6 or 7; otherwise Infinity would be freaking out that Centrum was able to access Quantum 5...and they aren't.

* "The Infinity Patrol is correct that Centrum is very interested in Red Moon, but while their true goal is rather impressive, their means to that end are somewhat minimalist. They’re planning to steal something from this timeline’s Mars that does not exist on their own, and think that the Soviets’ near-domination of space is the most cost-effective and surreptitious way to get it". Why would Centrum care about what is on this reality's Mars when it allows them to access Quantum 5?! Again the only way this makes any degree of sense is if Centrum's equipment is reading this reality as Quantum 6 or 7.

*"Reich-5: The Nazis have landed in Red Moon but are playing this one very carefully, which is why neither the Infinity Patrol nor Centrum have spotted them just yet." But per Infinite Worlds Reich-5 is supposed to be limited to Quantum-3 and yet nothing is made of the fact they are accessing Quantum 5 and it doesn't appear Reich-5 even knows this. So again something is off.

Per Occam's razor all this means that Red Moon has to be a Quantum Anomaly similar to Möbius only in this case it coexists in Q3, somewhere in the Q6-7 band, and its native Q5.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #10
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Red Moon is effectively Möbius on steroids.

There are several things that suggest this is a quantum anomaly.

*"The Infinity Patrol is monitoring this timeline closely, as they know that Centrum is very interested in it, though they aren’t sure why." Infinity Patrol isn't sure why Centrum is interested in a Quantum 5 reality that Centrum can access?! Potential access to Homeline immediately springs to mind...unless Infinity Patrol somehow doesn't know the reality is actually in Quantum 5. Which means Infinity's equipment must be reading this reality as Quantum 6 or 7; otherwise Infinity would be freaking out that Centrum was able to access Quantum 5...and they aren't.

* "The Infinity Patrol is correct that Centrum is very interested in Red Moon, but while their true goal is rather impressive, their means to that end are somewhat minimalist. They’re planning to steal something from this timeline’s Mars that does not exist on their own, and think that the Soviets’ near-domination of space is the most cost-effective and surreptitious way to get it". Why would Centrum care about what is on this reality's Mars when it allows them to access Quantum 5?! Again the only way this makes any degree of sense is if Centrum's equipment is reading this reality as Quantum 6 or 7.

*"Reich-5: The Nazis have landed in Red Moon but are playing this one very carefully, which is why neither the Infinity Patrol nor Centrum have spotted them just yet." But per Infinite Worlds Reich-5 is supposed to be limited to Quantum-3 and yet nothing is made of the fact they are accessing Quantum 5 and it doesn't appear Reich-5 even knows this. So again something is off.

Per Occam's razor all this means that Red Moon has to be a Quantum Anomaly similar to Möbius only in this case it coexists in Q3, somewhere in the Q6-7 band, and its native Q5.
By this logic, Homeland is also a quantum anomaly, because per IW147 Centrum has agents on Homeline. This point was explained when the relevant issue was released. Also, it's not the only case of Reich-5 having access to worldlines outside Quantum 3—they also have access to Stormbomb-1, which is on Quantum 4 (Pyramid 3/63). They access Stormbomb-1 through a world they call Rache-Welt ("Vengenance world"), which may also be on Quantum 4, though if the banestorms created by the stormbombs cross Quanta Rache-Welt may be on Quantum 3.