Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
chandley

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Surprise and initiative. My understanding is so bad, I basically fiat it in my DF campaign.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
lvalero

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Rising skills from default. I sort of understand it, but it is very complicated from my point of view.

Link enhancement is another one I have had some issues.

It is easy to apply wrong the modifiers of Alternate Form.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
One of the biggies for me was confirmation that Size Modifier applies to both Ranged and Melee attacks.
Yeah that didn't occur to me either for some reason. I think I was accustomed to systems that only gave bonuses to hit big creatures with ranged attacks.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #14
Black Leviathan

I think we were playing 4th Edition for over a year before we realized that Combat reflexes didn't offer you a bonus to your Basic Speed for initiative.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #15
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Its just a lot to remember, especially if you dont use them all the time. I dont think I have ever been in a game that used all the rules and options.
Some of the rules just don't go well together. Bulletproof Nudity and the high realism in Tactical Shooting for example. Or the highly realistic and slapstick options found in Martial Arts. They don't fit stylistically and in a few cases might even contradict each other.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I think we were playing 4th Edition for over a year before we realized that Combat reflexes didn't offer you a bonus to your Basic Speed for initiative.
We always just houseruled it back in.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #17
lordabdul

For a long time I didn't realize that All-Out Attack lets you move half your Move. Yeah. I know.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #18
Gollum

What? Half your move? But I also never realized it!

Thus, it corresponds to the maneuver that some other roleplaying games name "charge". Actually, I believed that, in GURPS, "charge" was Move and Attack. The problem is that it gives a penalty to the attack and even cap it to 9, no matter how skilled you are. While other roleplaying games make it a bonus...

OK. Thank you very much Lordabdul!
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #19
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
What? Half your move? But I also never realized it!

Thus, it corresponds to the maneuver that some other roleplaying games name "charge". Actually, I believed that, in GURPS, "charge" was Move and Attack. The problem is that it gives a penalty to the attack and even cap it to 9, no matter how skilled you are. While other roleplaying games make it a bonus...
There are a couple of Techniques that buy off the cap, so precedent.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:36 AM   #20
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Grappling. That's oddly true in many RPG rule sets, perhaps because it doesn't get used to much as the others, or perhaps just that it usually has a different purpose and mechanical model.

But some of the Basic details just weren't clear to me. It actually helped me to go through to the more complicated rules in MA and then TG, as that somehow cleared up what Basic was saying.
Yeah, pair that with temporary attribute penalties, and by Basic a grappled character has no defensive penalties. That was confusing. I'm glad MA cleared (or added) those.

It also took me a long time (and a lot of looking at example characters) to grasp if Weapon Bond is supposed to affect to-hit rolls only, or if I should recalculate Parry, if necessary (which is the case, at least in DFRPG).

There's a rule that I knew and understood from the beginning, but didn't really understand how it reflects reality until a looong discussion here on these forums, and that's how SM applies in combat. In essence, I was convinced that it only makes sense for relative SM (or SM difference) to apply, but I was convinced otherwise.

Tags
rules