Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #61
Rasputin

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

Another bug: you can't generate more than 999 rooms. Granted, it remains to be seen why you would want this many rooms, but it was something across which I came when I tried to break the program a bit (Colossal dungeon, Square layout, Tiny rooms, Dense room layout, trim All deadends).

EDIT: Turns out it's in the original code.

My GURPS blog.

Last edited by Rasputin; 07-05-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #62
GodBeastX

Feature Request: Can hexes be setup to be 2 yard hallways instead of 1 yard? I find 1 yard hallways unmanageable for Dungeon Fantasy when combat takes place in a hallway.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #63
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Feature Request: Can hexes be setup to be 2 yard hallways instead of 1 yard? I find 1 yard hallways unmanageable for Dungeon Fantasy when combat takes place in a hallway.
They're not one yard. They're actually 10 feet. The generator uses the original code from drow's generator, and just switches from squares to hexes by default.

My GURPS blog.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 AM   #64
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
They're not one yard. They're actually 10 feet. The generator uses the original code from drow's generator, and just switches from squares to hexes by default.
They're intended to be 1 yard, and there's actually experimental code up in the repository that should address that. I haven't packaged a release yet, I'm going to look at that over lunch.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #65
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
Having 2 yard hallways is a high priority for me, as it is very cramped. 1 yard hallways are definitely suitable for certain kinds of sites, but I want to set the default up to 2. I may (for super annoying technical reasons) have to do the first pass at 3 yards but I think 2 yards is a sweet spot. It also allows better suspension of disbelief as to how larger monsters got in to the dungeon.

The map making system (by Drow) doesn't actually support different hallway widths, so I have to rewrite the hallway logic. I plan on addressing the somewhat drunken tunneling behavior at the same time, but since I didn't write the hallway code in the first place, this is a bit of an ... adventure.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #66
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The map making system (by Drow) doesn't actually support different hallway widths, so I have to rewrite the hallway logic. I plan on addressing the somewhat drunken tunneling behavior at the same time, but since I didn't write the hallway code in the first place, this is a bit of an ... adventure.
Can't you just change the size of the Hex underlay to be 1/2 or 1/3 the size? This will change relative room sizes, but that may be easier than trying to reconfigure the hallway code. The map would be exactly the same, just the calculated room sizes are larger.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #67
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Can't you just change the size of the Hex underlay to be 1/2 or 1/3 the size? This will change relative room sizes, but that may be easier than trying to reconfigure the hallway code. The map would be exactly the same, just the calculated room sizes are larger.
I didn't want to impact the room sizes.
Although now that I think about it, this would probably bring the room sizes more in line with the original output, and it's easier to fiddle with the room sizes than the hallways :P

If folks are comfortable with having larger rooms, I think I can sort this out reasonably quickly.

I do need to do an overhaul of the hallway code, regardless of the width issue. As noted, right now it likes to spiral around pointlessly or loop back in on itself, and there's no "main hall with rooms branching off it" behavior to be seen.
I'd like at least some of the hallways to actually "go somewhere" with some intelligence, rather than arriving in a destination by accident. My golden goal is to be able give the option (or a %age chance) of a main-hallway type arrangement.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #68
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
If folks are comfortable with having larger rooms, I think I can sort this out reasonably quickly.
It's easy enough to just reduce the Room Size if you want smaller rooms. The smallest rooms now are 3x the hallway width, and you really can't get much smaller than that (1x hallway width is just another hall; 2x is just an alcove).

Quote:
I do need to do an overhaul of the hallway code, regardless of the width issue. As noted, right now it likes to spiral around pointlessly or loop back in on itself, and there's no "main hall with rooms branching off it" behavior to be seen.
I'd like at least some of the hallways to actually "go somewhere" with some intelligence, rather than arriving in a destination by accident. My golden goal is to be able give the option (or a %age chance) of a main-hallway type arrangement.
Food for thoughts: A "main hall" is just a long skinny room across the middle of the map which other halls or rooms branch off from. Perhaps you can create a main hall by laying down a central "room" first, which the other rooms and hallways must work around.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-05-2018 at 10:48 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #69
Rasputin

Quote:
They're intended to be 1 yard, and there's actually experimental code up in the repository that should address that..
OK. Speaking of yards, any reason why the output is in feet (per the original) rather than the GURPS-standard yards?

My GURPS blog.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #70
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
OK. Speaking of yards, any reason why the output is in feet (per the original) rather than the GURPS-standard yards?
Just the original annoying struggle with the units in the first place. That's fixed on the code repository as of yesterday afternoon; it will be rolled out in the next release.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeons, random dungeon, utility