Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
Gef

Default [Magic] Portable Area - proposed 15% rule

In multiple campaigns, as a GM I've been asked to rule on Area spells on a moving object such as a ship? Would the ship keep right on moving out from under the spell? Or the latest manifestation in present campaign, using path magic, can a Ward be placed on a rug? If not, do you have some kind of worldlaw where the planet itself isn't hurtling through space?

So my proposed rule is that an Area spell can be cast on a ship, but not the whole ship, just up to 15% of its area (a seventh of its hexes). For the rug, if it were 5'×8', a section 2'×3' could be protected with a Ward, enough for a man to stand comfortably, especially if a design on the rug marks the boundary.

What do you think of the idea? Will it settle arguments in your campaigns? And the fraction's arbitrary; would you change it?
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Magic] Portable Area - proposed 15% rule

I don't really think it's a issue. You usually cast an area spell on a surface. If the surface moves then the spell moves with it. If you cast it on a volume of air or water it would move with the currents.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Kromm's suggestion (from 2008) would allow the spell to move with an object on which it's cast (such as a flying carpet). His limit was 50% of the area of the object.

And why not, after all? Area spells cast on the ground are still cast on a small fraction of a moving object (even in a lot of fantasy cosmologies in place of realistic ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd allow an Area spell to be cast on a surface and move when the surface moves if the spell's area were no larger than 50% of the area of the mobile surface. For figures on a map, I'd use size in hexes -- not skin surface area or some equally bizarre concept. For circles, this amounts to "no greater than 70% of the target surface's radius"; e.g., you'd be out of luck for a 1-yard-radius rug, could manage a 1-yard Area spell on a 2-yard-radius rug, and could park a 3-yard Area spell on a 5-yard-radius rug. For other shapes, estimate or count hexes. I'd also impose a limit that the spell can't exceed the surface's boundaries; thus, a 1 hex × 50 hex red carpet might theoretically allow a 25-hex effect, which is just over a 3-hex radius, but actually be limited to a 1-hex effect because a larger radius would fall outside it.

For all of the above, I'd exclude the world's surface and the surface of anything fixed to the world, like a building. I see no reason not to allow spells to fill rooms or forest glades to the boundary, since neither a room nor a glade moves relative to the world. And yes, this privileges the world as a surface . . . and I'm fine with that. It feels more magical to me.

As for surface tilt, I see no reason to favor an orientation. If all other conditions are met, why not allow Area spells on walls or ceilings, or on sloping floors?
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
Dalin

I asked a similar question last year in a thread in the DFRPG forum (Area spells on boats?). Kromm weighed in with a somewhat simpler ruling: the entire spell must be able to fit on the surface in theory, even if you leave some hexes out. See post #7 in the thread.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Gef

Thanks for those replies, look like folks are thinking along the same lines but more generously on the fraction.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I asked a similar question last year in a thread in the DFRPG forum (Area spells on boats?). Kromm weighed in with a somewhat simpler ruling: the entire spell must be able to fit on the surface in theory, even if you leave some hexes out. See post #7 in the thread.
Which means smart wizards buy circular rugs.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Which the muggles all confuse with flying saucers. But at least the Secret is kept.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
In multiple campaigns, as a GM I've been asked to rule on Area spells on a moving object such as a ship?
There are several Spells where this is explicitly the case. See Waves, Current, Tide and Wind from Magic p.194-195.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #9
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
And coracles over canoes.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote