Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
flankspeed

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy vs TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
It sounds like you have a somewhat blurry memory of Starleader: Assault. It actually wasn't anything whatsoever like TFT. It was based on an "action point" system, and was not a very good game. Probably because it wasn't playtested or developed enough during the design phase.

Dark City Games, on the other hand, has done a bang up job of "porting" their TFT clone to both the Old West and Sci Fi. I can highly recommend those games to you (and rumor has it that a new Western module will be coming out sometime in the future -- only the second such module done so far!)

As I understand it there are currently no plans to make a non-Fantasy TFT version...
Thanks for clearing that up. I have looked at Dark City Games but never pulled the trigger to buy any. I may just have to saddle up and ride over to take a second look. I really do think that there could be non-Fantasy TFT game rules, but if there aren’t, then it’s good to know Dark City Games is there. I hope they are not negatively affected by copyright laws to stop publishing.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #32
JLV

There was a discussion of that early on when Steve announced his recovery of the rights to TFT.

Given the nature of copyright laws regarding game systems, and the fact that DCG made some fairly significant changes to the way the game works for them (though it's very easy to "reverse engineer" those changes and convert their games over to true TFT), I'd say there's no real danger of that kind of issue. Besides; I don't think Steve would do something like that unless the situation were totally egregious and clearly deserved that kind of smackdown.

On the cautioning side, Steve said that he hoped in a couple of years there wouldn't be much in the way of clones out there (and in his support, the only reason clones developed is because true TFT was in limbo for so long), but he didn't sound terribly aggressive about it (as in "pulling a TSR" and suing everyone in sight over everything imaginable).

Even better news; at one point Steve was in discussions with George Dew about doing some work for SJG (maybe some new solo (but GM-able) microquests?), so it sounds more like they might develop a good working relationship rather than a hostile one.

Anyway, the view from this outsider is that the signs are more positive than they are negative, and that Steve wants a more collegial atmosphere as opposed to a "warring states" kind of thing.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #33
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Seconded. There is no reason for system bloat or rules over-complication. A more valuable form of support comes down to play aids, adventures, and more things to kill.
And settings... especially hexcrawls of course I am biased in that regard.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #34
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsconley View Post
And settings... especially hexcrawls of course I am biased in that regard.
It's not TFT, but . . .

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...xcrawl-setting
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #35
flankspeed

Quote:
There was a discussion of that early on when Steve announced his recovery of the rights to TFT.

Given the nature of copyright laws regarding game systems, and the fact that DCG made some fairly significant changes to the way the game works for them (though it's very easy to "reverse engineer" those changes and convert their games over to true TFT), I'd say there's no real danger of that kind of issue. Besides; I don't think Steve would do something like that unless the situation were totally egregious and clearly deserved that kind of smackdown.

On the cautioning side, Steve said that he hoped in a couple of years there wouldn't be much in the way of clones out there (and in his support, the only reason clones developed is because true TFT was in limbo for so long), but he didn't sound terribly aggressive about it (as in "pulling a TSR" and suing everyone in sight over everything imaginable).

Even better news; at one point Steve was in discussions with George Dew about doing some work for SJG (maybe some new solo (but GM-able) microquests?), so it sounds more like they might develop a good working relationship rather than a hostile one.

Anyway, the view from this outsider is that the signs are more positive than they are negative, and that Steve wants a more collegial atmosphere as opposed to a "warring states" kind of thing.
Thanks for the information. I would say once again that sounds like, “Good news, everyone!”
Old 07-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #36
JLV

Quote:
And allow me to mention one that I'm quite enjoying right now. As Phil says, it's not TFT, but it is interesting:

Dolmenwood

It even has a place you can drop Barrowmaze into if you are inclined towards Megadungeons...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #37
Buzzardo

Quote:
I'm with you on the Health Stat -- I think it would solve a huge number of problems!
I'd rather not see that. Adding HT takes us back toward complexity. HT = ST, and that's that. Yes, mages are unfit 98-pound weaklings. I'm fine with that.
Quote:
There is no reason for system bloat or rules over-complication. A more valuable form of support comes down to play aids, adventures, and more things to kill.
Such as a 14-hex dragon! :D

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #38
flankspeed

I like the Health stat in GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy because Hit Points are still based on ST while Fatigue is based on HT. That being said, I believe TFT probably needs to retain the simplicity of defining a character with only three attributes.

While I do enjoy the extra crunch of HT, I think Wizards can get more “mana” by allowing them to have both their ST to power spells with Fatigue and mana points based on IQ. For my taste, that IQ-based mana could eiither be in their staff or be an innate part of their being. (I want to encourage the Dr. Strange sorceror and not force everyone to be Harry Potter or Gandalf.)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #39
Carnifex

GURPS and TFT fill two different niche in the gaming market. GURPS targets hardcore gamers who love detail and don't mind getting down and dirty with the world building. TFT on the other hand is for gamers looking for a lite frame work to build a fast, furious and fun game (and probably not all that serious either).
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:20 PM   #40
robertsconley

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

I authored Blackmarsh which was adapted for Heroes and Other Worlds by the author of that game. I had a few TFT fans tell me they used the setting for their campaigns.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote