Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #41
luguvalium

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
But I'd really want the whole article
I see ebay has several copies The Dungeoneer #18 for sale
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #42
JLV

Default Re: Help! Do you have information on old articles, reviews, and news stories?

Thanks for that tip! But I can't use e-Bay, since I refused to give them a ton of personal information they insisted on before allowing me to use their service. I'll just keep an eye peeled in the usual places for now -- Noble Knight, Wayne's, Amazon, and Boardgamegeek. ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 AM   #43
zot

Quote:
Thanks for that tip! But I can't use e-Bay, since I refused to give them a ton of personal information they insisted on before allowing me to use their service. I'll just keep an eye peeled in the usual places for now -- Noble Knight, Wayne's, Amazon, and Boardgamegeek. ;-)
Chances are very high that your FLGS has an e-Bay connection. You could try asking the owner to get it for you for a small commission...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 AM   #44
JLV

Sadly, my "closest FLGS" is about four hours away; I don't make it down there very much.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #45
zot

Quote:
Sadly, my "closest FLGS" is about four hours away; I don't make it down there very much.
Dude! You live in too much isolation!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 AM   #46
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Try living in a place where the nearest FLGS is four hours away - by plane.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #47
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
LOL! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one -- but I'll bet this helps explain why I'm always looking for solitaire alternatives and ideas!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:34 AM   #48
Chris Rice

Different Worlds magazine. Issue 15, October 1981. "A Modest Proposal for the Fantasy Trip." David R. Durham.

This was probably the most important article I ever read on TFT. Dunham proposed splitting each of the 3 Attributes of TFT into 2 parts. ST became Strength and Constitution. DX became Dexterity (more properly, Agility) and Success Chance. IQ became Intelligence and Knowledge.

This allowed more character variety and did a lot to solve problems such as "Conan the Wizard," since a Wizard would now buy Consitution rather than Strength. It also allowed Heros to have more Talents without having to become smarter.

It was a single page article, but a little bit of genius.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #49
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Ah, right, the Dunham article. Well-written, well-thought-out, and solved some problems by turning it into D&D :)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #50
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Ah, right, the Dunham article. Well-written, well-thought-out, and solved some problems by turning it into D&D :)
Well, it certainly created a game with 6 Attributes that's for certain, but I'm not sure that it did anything else to make the game more like D&D. What aspects of the approach did you feel did that Steve?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote