Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
rkbrown419

Default Re: Total GURPS index

I've found for the books I have in PDF (which is most of them) I can use the Windows search function on the folder they're in. That will tell you which book to look in as long as you use the right search terms.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:25 AM   #12
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I've found for the books I have in PDF (which is most of them) I can use the Windows search function on the folder they're in. That will tell you which book to look in as long as you use the right search terms.
Acrobat multi pdf search work very well too, with links to open the Pdfs at the right spot.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:30 AM   #13
johndallman
Night Watchman

I use Agent Ransack, which lets you use regular expressions to search PDFs, but still provides an easy GUI.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi2a View Post
AWhat I am suggesting is a official index of all official GURPS 4th edition products.
That would be a great fan project to organize, like Doug Cole organized GURPSDay, but fans have to organize it themselves like organizing to transcribe the archives of a favourite webcomic. If it is more unpaid work for SJ Games' Staff, especially an open-ended commitment to unpaid work (every new publication implies updating the wiki), its unlikely to happen.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
I did recently have a little frustration with doing that for Pyramid issues. I was trying to search to quickly see which Pyramid issues (of the ones that I have, anyway) had Spaceships stuff in them, but it just gave me a list of every Pyramid that David L. Pulver worked on, since it mentions the Spaceships series in his author note.

In fairness, that was probably just too broad a search.

Asking SJGames to make a giant total-GURPS-index seems impractical, though. Indexing something well is annoying, slow, generally expensive work, and I don't think they'd make much (or, really, any) of their time/money back for the effort.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 07-17-2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added a line at the end on the main topic
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I did recently have a little frustration with doing that for Pyramid issues. I was trying to search to quickly see which Pyramid issues (of the ones that I have, anyway) had Spaceships stuff in them, but it just gave me a list of every Pyramid that David L. Pulver worked on, since it mentions the Spaceships series in his author note.
The Wiki has a Pyramid index with most of the issues having a list of articles, some articles are listed by themselves but I havent worked on that in awhile and need to reset my password to get back in.
Here is the page for them.
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Pyramid_Vol_3
Let me know if its useful,nothing like knowing people use your work to inspire you to get back to it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 07-17-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #17
Taneli

It would be interesting to know how SJG would react to a fan-composed index of all GURPs books.

I mean, the material is already out there freely available as I believe that every single free GURPS pdf sample in WH23 includes the index of the pdf in question.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #18
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The Wiki has a Pyramid index with most of the issues having a list of articles, some articles are listed by themselves but I havent worked on that in awhile and need to reset my password to get back in.
Here is the page for them.
https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Pyramid_Vol_3
Let me know if its useful,nothing like knowing people use your work to inspire you to get back to it.
About 86+ need additional information. (the working category). The site has gone from a host of 'x is on page y of book z' articles to where it is actually useful.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:34 AM   #19
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I use Agent Ransack, which lets you use regular expressions to search PDFs, but still provides an easy GUI.
Seconded. Agent Ransack has been far superior to standard Windoze search functions for over a decade.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #20
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
It would be interesting to know how SJG would react to a fan-composed index of all GURPs books.
Based on my experience: With indifference, unless things have changed in the last decade.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote