Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Horror Magic in Dungeon Fantasy

I really liked to cult magic in the Magical Styles Horror Magic. Is there a way that Ritual Magic can be added to Dungeon Fantasy so that evil cults have really creepy and terrifying spells and invocations? If so I would love to buy a book with rules for it...
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
arcanus

Default Re: Horror Magic in Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I really liked to cult magic in the Magical Styles Horror Magic. Is there a way that Ritual Magic can be added to Dungeon Fantasy so that evil cults have really creepy and terrifying spells and invocations? If so I would love to buy a book with rules for it...
I’m not sure it would get its own book, although possibly as a Dark Gods & Elder Things sourcebook.

It wouldn’t be hard to incorporate this yourself, this Thread
gives some good ideas on using RPM in DF.

If you keep standard magic as well you would need to make RPM more powerful (as why would cultists use it), but that can be tied to Corruption enhancing Energy Collection or Effect Shaping and Converting Horror Magics spells.
arcanus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Thaumatology has a lot of rules on modifiers, material magic, etc.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
Balor Patch

Isn't that what DF 19: Incantation Magic is?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Isn't that what DF 19: Incantation Magic is?
I don’t think so. Incantation Magic is a version of Ritual Path Magic written for Dungeon Fantasy, but as written I don’t think it really has the horror flavor b-dog wants.

Ritual Magic, on the other hand, is just a variant of Standard Spell Magic, replacing the spells-as-skills with spells-as-techniques. It’s no more or less horror-flavored than the standard system.

I think b-dog is using “Ritual Magic” in a more colloquial sense, given that he wants to apply the flavor of Magical Styles: Horror Magic to Dungeon Fantasy. The “Cultists of the Elder Gods” article in Pyramid #3/43 might be helpful in this regard.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Nothing prevents anybody from just throwing the supplement into DF and saying, "If you learn magic this way, you can get Magery in play whether or not you're a wizard." I'm not sure what more you'd need.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Nothing prevents anybody from just throwing the supplement into DF and saying, "If you learn magic this way, you can get Magery in play whether or not you're a wizard." I'm not sure what more you'd need.
I am just hoping for more cool summoning spells like possibly summoning a demon lord for some time or an Elder God. The evil cult needs to be dungeon fantasied up IMO.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote