Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-23-2021, 03:02 AM   #1
Boyboy180

Default Overloaded Senses

I'm trying to create a power which boosts a character's perception but makes them more susceptible to sensory overload. I think I could do this as a temp disadvantage limitation but I can't decide on the value of the susceptible disadvantage. Could I get some help, or suggestions about other ways to build this power?
Boyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:45 AM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: Overloaded Senses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyboy180 View Post
I'm trying to create a power which boosts a character's perception but makes them more susceptible to sensory overload. I think I could do this as a temp disadvantage limitation but I can't decide on the value of the susceptible disadvantage. Could I get some help, or suggestions about other ways to build this power?
If the sensory overload is a trivial inconvenience (e.g., No Sense of Smell/Taste if your Discriminatory Taste advantage is overloaded), it's a Nuisance Effect limitation worth -5%. Otherwise, it's a Temporary disadvantage (Susceptible (Appropriate sense-based attacks (Common), -2%/lvl) limitation.

For simplicity, I'd just call a -2 penalty to HT rolls to resist sensory overload a -5% limitation, or -10% for a -5 penalty. Perhaps double this number if there's no way to protect your sense.

Of course, that assumes that you can turn your power on and off so you're not vulnerable to sensory overload all the time. If you are, just buy Susceptible as a disadvantage, possibly with the -60% Mitigator (not affected when taking measures to negate effects of special sensory powers or when sensory power is somehow "turned off").

Also, take a look at Night Vision for a power treated as a feature, where increased ability to see in dim light is countered by natural susceptibility to bright light. Traits modeled off of Night Vision as a feature might work well; like Acute Hearing with equivalent penalty to resist extremely loud noises or Acute Vision with equivalent penalty to resist very bright lights or visual sensory overload.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:58 AM   #3
Boyboy180

Thanks, that works perfectly.
Yes, it was a switchable ability.
Boyboy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
whswhs

Note that GURPS High-Tech: Electricity and Electronics has rules for the effects of excessive illumination on p. 20, and GURPS Powers: Enhanced Senses has rules for the effects of excessive loudness on p. 21.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #5
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyboy180 View Post
My first thought as an autist is to treat sensory sensitivity as Chronic Pain triggered by that sense.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote