Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #37
tbeard1999

Default Re: The Immovable Foundation-Stone on which TFT Characters are Built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Here's the deal in a nut shell. Melee character creation is based on Algebra; that's why I included the formulaic expressions
If I understand what you are saying, the equation is:

ST + DX + IQ = Attribute Points

So for a beginning character -

ST12 + DX10 + IQ10 = 32 = ST10 + DX12 + IQ10, for instance.

If so, then any change in the actual value of ST will render this equation invalid.

And logically, if you bifurcate ST, you reduce the value of ST. This invalidates a key TFT presumption - that ST, DX and IQ are equivalent in value.

My point is that the presumption is not actually true. The utility/value of ST has been increased in ITL, yet its cost in attribute points has not changed. (Also, the actual comparative value of ST, DX or IQ depends on the type of character - a thief is likely to value DX more than ST for example).

I also assert that breaking Power out of ST has no real effect on the value of ST to heroes. And while it does make ST pretty much useless to Wizards, so what? After all, THAT'S THE GOAL. Plus, Power effectively replaces ST completely for Wizards. 8 points of Power will give a Wizard virtually the same real benefit that he currently gets from 8 points of ST. (Yes, ST governs damage taken. But I think this is balanced out by the fact that casting spells no longer causes the wizard to take damage.)

It's the best solution I can come up with to solve the Conan the Wizard problem. It's an easy change, it solves the problem and it has no effect on heroes. Other solutions - adding Health being the most popular - hurt heroes by making it harder to get tougher and do more damage.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 03-14-2018 at 03:52 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote