Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM   #521
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Yes. See my edit of #509.
My error. I put up my post before reading your edits, but it looks like we both came to similar conclusions.

Quote:
You need the Close-Quarter Battle technique whenever you're taking a Move and Attack maneuver. Attack only allows a Step (p. B365), and Step allows you only 1/10 Move (p. B368), which for most people ends up being 1 yard. John Wick moves more than two steps in the second clip at 0:30. That's Move and Attack, and that's where Close-Quarter Battle helps.
That's assuming you aren't doing AoAs, which give you 1/2 move, probably 3 yards for John Wick. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't see any clear footage in either of the two clips where he moves more than 3 yards between shots.

Sighted shooting requires an AoA per TS, so he can easily move 2 - 3 yards between AoAs. I'll have to watch the video a few more times, but it really does look like all of that moving and shooting could be done with All Out Attack and Half Moves.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #522
Gigermann

imfdb is reporting it as a P30L also.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #523
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
That's assuming you aren't doing AoAs, which give you 1/2 move, probably 3 yards for John Wick. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't see any clear footage in either of the two clips where he moves more than 3 yards between shots.

Sighted shooting requires an AoA per TS, so he can easily move 2 - 3 yards between AoAs.
You are right that All-out Attack allows you 1/2 Move without penalty, possibly making the Close-Quarter Battle technique in this case unnecessary (but see below). However, there are many scenarios where you need to take more than three steps, and All-out Attack only allows forward movement, as well. As soon as you have to turn a corner, frex, you're taking Move and Attack. There's also occasions where you move sideways, backwards, or have to swivel your torso to fire to the side (which is not specifically mentioned in the Basic Set, but which I'd very much rule to fall under this as well). In the second clip at 0:30, he's turning a corner while moving, I think (it's a bit confused because of the change of POV), which I'd already define as Move and Attack, not All-out Attack.

Cheers

HANS
Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #524
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
imfdb is reporting it as a P30L also.
IMFDb is unreliable regarding IDs, but they do provide an HD screen cap. Yep, P30L. He appears to have only two magazines per gun, which seems a bit . . . sparse ;)

Cheers

HANS
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #525
Rigil_Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRonin View Post
He makes 3 definitive head shots (0:04, 0:05, 0:16), so let's use those to get an idea.
This is actually a very consistent element in the movie. A considerable number of his kill shots with the pistol are head shots - can you have the Trademark Move perk with a ranged weapon? If so, based on my observation of the character from the movie, I'd say he has that.

The two clips provided also don't show some of the slightly more cinematic engagements which is why I'd give him the Gunslinger advantage personally, but that's just me.

As to skill level, I'd definitely push his guns (pistol) up to around 18 based on some other shots that aren't shown in these clips with maxxed techniques.

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog

Last edited by Rigil_Kent; 11-04-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #526
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
can you have the Trademark Move perk with a ranged weapon?
Tactical Shooting, p. 41.

Cheers

HANS
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #527
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
and All-out Attack only allows forward movement, as well. As soon as you have to turn a corner, frex, you're taking Move and Attack.
You can turn a corner with only 'forward' movement, though probably not in the most tactically sound manner. Remember that 'forward movement' means moving into one of your three front hexes, and that as you move into the off-center front hexes you turn by one facing.
Quote:
There's also occasions where you move sideways, backwards, or have to swivel your torso to fire to the side (which is not specifically mentioned in the Basic Set, but which I'd very much rule to fall under this as well).
It would be a notable rules change if All Out Attack forbade attacks into your side hexes.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #528
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
It would be a notable rules change if All Out Attack forbade attacks into your side hexes.
I'm not talking about side hexes. Ranged weapons have considerable more uses than shooting at guys in touching distance.

Cheers

HANS
Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #529
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I'm not talking about side hexes. Ranged weapons have considerable more uses than shooting at guys in touching distance.

Cheers

HANS
I am fairly sure side hexes extend out to arbitrary distance.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #530
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Thursday is GURPS-Day, and after a bit of a hiatus, I took up a question from the GURPS forums that is pretty fundamental: What is grappling? The question came up from someone with no direct or indirect experience with the subject matter, and rather than answer on the forums, I ventured a response on my blog. I definitely invite comments - there's probably no one best answer here!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb