Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Tip Slash with thrust/crushing weapons

I realize this rule was only for impaling weapons, but instead of impale>cut what if it was crush>crush and the only benefit you get for the damage penalty is counting as swinging for defensive purposes?

This would seem to cover those weird whipping punches you see in MMA which seem to get around people's guard. Or things like whipping a snap kick to the side if the thigh instead of using the knee+hip extension poet.

Probably can't hit as hard as a straight (1 joint power instead of 2) but if your goal is just to inflict 1 DMG to face to force a knockdown check or inflict shock to start a defensive crumble, less damage could be fine.

Kinda similar to deceptive attack except you sacrifice damage instead of skill to cause defensive penalties, and only against unarmed attackers since weapons don't have penalties to parry swung attacks.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Tip Slash with thrust/crushing weapons

Whipping MMA punches would be Deceptive Attacks.

As for tip slashes with crushing weapons, I'd allow it - the damage penalty means it's doing less damage, there's no obvious benefit that makes it potentially unbalanced, and any benefit would be very situational.

However, I can't think of any crushing weapons that have a thrust but no swing - except possibly brass knuckles or things like that, which are really just fist-loads and so should always be parryable as unarmed attacks.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Hellboy
On Notice

Blackjacks and Shields were only ones I noticed.

Those whipping MMA punches might match thrusts with speed but they look hard to put weight behind, to lean your shoulder into. That is why a damage penalty feels okay.

Also to do deceptive you need at least skill 12 and I think anybody can do wild windmill punches.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
evileeyore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Also to do deceptive you need at least skill 12...
False. You can have a skill of 8 and do AOA (Determined). The only 'hard and fast rule' is you cannot reduce your skill below 10 with Deceptive Attack.

I interpret this as your final skill cannot go below 10 via any means if you wish to use Deceptive Attack. So no, "My skill is 18, I'm going to Deceptive Attack at -8 for a 10 skill and then target his vitals for -5..." and then use Luck and hope you get lucky. Or spend Impulse Points for guaranteed success.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #5
Tomsdad

I'm not quite sure what the kind of punch you looking to emulate is here?

Could be spinning attacks? (MA79)

You mentioned MMA have you got a link of what your referencing
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #6
jason taylor

Wouldn't a tip cut(unless you, are in a German fight club of course)be kind of the swordsmanship equiv of a left jab? Something to keep the other guy busy, or maybe to increase measure should you desire?