Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

View Poll Results: What kind of counters/minis do you prefer for TFT?
Retro-style monocolor flat counters 12 19.35%
Retro-style full-color flat counters 14 22.58%
Cardboard Heroes style standies 19 30.65%
25mm metal minis 1 1.61%
28mm metal minis 5 8.06%
25mm resin/plastic minis 2 3.23%
28mm resin/plastic minis 4 6.45%
Other (please specify) 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
DarkPumpkin

Default What kind of counters/figures do you want to see for TFT?

Imagine that SJG would only support ONE format for counters/figures in official and licensed third party products. Which would you choose? No need to tell us how you'd concoct your own unique solution for your table, just imagine that only one type would be forthcoming as official TFT product.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: What kind of counters/figures do you want to see for TFT?

In descending order: Pre-painted minis at ~30mm scale, pre-primed minis at same, unprimed minis at same.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
JohnPaulB

Not much chance of getting 25mm figs these days, but I still have some.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
ParadoxGames

I voted for retro-style full-color flat counters.... but by flat, I hope you mean Avalon Hill thickness, not chipboard. That's what I want. I've been busy since the PDF release making my own counters in that style, in pocket-box size. From time to time I show them on the TFT Discord group (link in my signature), including counters for things like nuisance creatures, HP, XP, and the like.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
larsdangly

I like the retro art counters and am happy that the new edition comes with a bunch of them. But honestly, I would ditch them in favor of 25 or 28 mm figures when those are available. There is already a lot of competition in that space, and no reason why players can't adapt what they already have or could readily get from other suppliers. But, the role of hex size and orientation in TFT provides an avenue for SJG to produce a line of figures that I think most players would prefer if they could get them. I.e., suitably sized figures mounted on appropriate scale bases, perhaps with facings marked on the edges. The only disadvantage would be that you would struggle to represent HTH combat with such figures.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Shostak

I have always liked the simplicity of monochrome flat counters with great, high contrast, graphically strong imagery (as in the original Melee and Wizard counters, but NOT the original Death Test). In my experience, they kindle imagination rather than stifling it with overly detailed illustration. Two-sided with the dead body symbol on the back is very useful and efficient.

That said, I'd be happy to game with the same art on standies, but you'd need hex stands and separate dead body counters, which drives up cost and inefficiency.

Loubet's illustrations for Cardboard Heroes are too detailed for me.

And please, no 30-pound one-handed swords or axes!
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
malchidael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Not much chance of getting 25mm figs these days, but I still have some.
I don't want to make assumptions, so forgive me if you already know this, but Iron Wind Metals has a bunch of the old Ral Partha figs in production, and they're pretty close to 25mm. I picked up a handful a few years back, and they work perfectly on the classic Melee/Wizard maps.

I did base a Reaper Bones "young fire dragon" as a 7-hex dragon, and had a toy dragon from one of those "toob" sets from a craft shop based as a 4-hex dragon and those worked very nicely, as well.

The selection is limited to a degree, but they kickstarted their Chaos Wars figs a few years ago, so common army-types (orcs, goblins, elves, dwarves, humans, undead) are plentiful.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
XRaysVision

As I have said before, there are tons of fantasy minis out there. The chits are great as well. This is one instance when you can have your cake and eat it too. SJG makes chits--and all the chit fans are happy. Mega Miniatures, Reaper, etc. etc. etc. make miniatures. Don't like painting use that other RPG company's prepaints.

As for me, I'd prefer that SJG concentrate it's TFT resources on more new adventures, including solo adventures (not all of us have gaming groups handy). It's just I don't see why the wheel has to get re-invented. Jus' Sayin'
XRaysVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Taliesin
Banned

I would like full color flat counters on chip-board, painted by Denis Loubert. I've always love the art he drew for the Ultima computer games. I know this is weirdly specific but as long as we are wishing...
What I probably going to use is the pre-primed miniatures that are coming out for D&D. My eyes have gotten too poor to paint anymore but one of the young 'uns in my game group paints them for me.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Mallen the dark

Counters or minis, I will buy them either way. I love minis, but personnally, I think traditional counters are what I want most for this game. I have a large box of minis to paint when (if) I can find the time.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote