Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
CeeDub

Default Realm Magic and Magery

Salutations!

Two quick questions:
1. Does Realm magic require the Magery advantage? Thaumatology has a box on pg. 184 that talks about Magery optionally limiting Realm magic, which sort of implies that you'd need it, but Magery is mentioned nowhere else I can find in reference to Realm magic, so I'm unsure.
2. If your character has Magery, does it do anything? Like, act as a Talent for Realm skills?

Thanks!
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Realm Magic and Magery

That really depends on the GM. If they want, they can have Realm requiring Magery, though the Magery is really a minor part of the CP cost. If they want, they can have Magery function like it does for RPM, like it does in standard magic, or anything they want.

For example, I have seen Magery reduce the base FP cost by the Magery level instead of adding to skill, resulting in less skilled mages, but much more powerful mages. With that option, you can have really high Magery levels, 8+, without majorly negatively impacting game balance. Or, if you are using threshold-limited or spirit-assisted magic, you can perform small spells without risking you sanity or your soul.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #3
CeeDub

Default Re: Realm Magic and Magery

Thanks for your reply, that is very helpful and gives me lots of options to customize the magic system.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote