Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
CryWolf

Default Munchkin Fu overpowered?

Our gaming group has been playing Munchkin daily for the past 2 or so weeks. We're played with the core set, then with Bites.

Yesterday we played with Munchkin Fu for the first time.

By mid-game, each player had so many bonuses coming from Styles, Dragon Claw/Tooth combo, Headgear (plus the ones that can be worn under other Headgear) and other items that we unanimously declared it to be vastly more powerful than the core set, or with Bites to a lesser degree.

Is it just our good luck, or do your play groups also find this true?

We even thought that the next time we play with Fu, we should mix it with the core set, which we found difficult to win with consistently. Perhaps things will balance out.

Opinions?

also: Fluxx, V:tES
CryWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
thedag

Default Re: Munchkin Fu overpowered?

I will vote for luck. In some games of Fu I have never had a style or had a style that I considered pretty useless. In some games I have gotten the correct cards. The worst ever was my son getting the bonus from items with Bow in the name and also then had a card that prevented me from playing stuff against him as well as peace pipe. he absolutely wiped the floor with us. We were powerless to do anything as he got all the right cards and we got nothing.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Consider the genre. It's definitely the case that the Munchkins can become much more powerful than in, say, Munchkin Bites!, because the genre is based around high powered characters who seem to have superhuman skills due to intense and constant training from the day they were conceived.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Klaymen

I feel the same way about Super Munchkin, without having played fu. Once when we were playing it, my friend had a combat strength of 54 after around five turns.
Klaymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I feel the same way about Super Munchkin, without having played fu. Once when we were playing it, my friend had a combat strength of 54 after around five turns.
I've seen this, or worse, in just about every genre of Munchkin.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
goodbunny2000

I definitely find FU to be over powered, (speaking as someone who regularly plays every set.)

I bought some blanks off of Warehouse 23, I'm planning on making some tough monsters, some powerful "fight stopping" cards, and maybe some item that allow stealing.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

They all are. Thus the name Munchkin. Blend it with Star Munchkin or Munchkin Bites. Won't make you less powerful, just allows others to mess with you more.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
RL

I've heard it said in other forum threads (and I agree) that Munchkin Fu and Super Munchkin are overpowered compared to the other sets. This was apparently done on purpose and is just the way those sets work.

The very first time I ever played Munchkin was a game of Munchkin Fu, and my very first card when kicking open the door was a Level 18 monster, and I was able to beat it without asking for help. This was back when you only started with two Doors and two Treasures. So that gives an idea of how powered-up Munchkin Fu is.

Last edited by RL; 02-22-2012 at 07:54 AM.
RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
MadMan

Also count Impossible in. But is not bad to get so many power. Makes the game faster and it's still fun (impossible sure is...).
The reason is that you get bonuses from the doors like trainings or styles. Also they don't got many expansions or boosters so the game roll faster (I'm wishing for an MI2 next year.... Also a hope for some "reloaded die" on other Munchkin flavors... Maybe on W23-2012)

Cthulhu and fantasy sometimes takes toooo long so it's nice to play 3 games in a row with the "overpowered" themes!
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Yeah, I don't mind "overpowered". Faster games are OK in my book, which is why I ALWAYS use the "Fast Play" rules.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote