Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
LokRobster

Default Hammer Downs... source?

I'm trying to locate a map of Hammer Downs for our 4th of July event. I believe it's used as a good example of why 3x scale is generally too big... so we're going to try it. The building my family usually gets for Independence Day is big with lots of empty tables :)

Even a hand-drawn [or mspaint] sketch of the shape of the arena and dimensions would be good enough!

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: Hammer Downs... source?

The 1988 Arena Book (i.e. not the 5E one published in 2002) seems to be the source for this - and I don't have a copy. :-(

Last edited by RogerBW; 05-28-2012 at 05:15 AM. Reason: clarification
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Parody

Hammer Downs takes up two map sheets, which is why it's inconvenient for 3x scale.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Automohawk

I looked through my stuff and couldn't find the arena book. But my Google skills found
http://www.princetongames.org/carwar...n2-event5.html .

It has some pics and optional arena rules but no set dimensions.

Oh yea...Hi bro, I finally decided to get a forum account here.
this is Chris btw
Automohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Magesmiley

In addition to the Arena Book, one of the ADQs had pictures of a 3-D version of the Hammer Downs that was built and used for the World Championships. I believe that Ken Scott mentioned that he built it.

A friend of mine and I actually were recently evaluating arenas to build in 3D. We were weighing 3x vs. 1x arenas and the biggest issue we saw was being able to reach the center of the battlefield. A typical person can only reach between two and three feet past their body, so if it is on a table, that really limits how far the center of the battlefield can be from the edge.

A single mapsheet arena at 1x scale measures 21" x 32". At triple scale that is 63" x 96" (or 5.25 feet by 8 feet). This is doable, but very big. The Hammer Downs is a two mapsheet arena, so it will be 10.5 feet by 8 feet, which isn't going to fit on a table, and even if you can manage it, you won't be able to reach a car in the middle.

One possible solution is to build the arena to be played on the floor and to be able to handle someone walking on it. We considered this pretty hard before finally concluding that 1x scale made a lot more sense.

We did decide to do the Hammer Downs, so feel free to ping me - we're going to probably be going through similar issues as we build it.
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automohawk View Post
I looked through my stuff and couldn't find the arena book. But my Google skills found http://www.princetongames.org/carwar...n2-event5.html.
This is Warrior Stadium from L'Outrance, not Hammer Downs. Warrior Stadium is a good choice for a 3D map for 1x-3x scale, as is the Rubberway (also from L'Outrance).
Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
MongolHorde

If I recall, Hammer Downs is the one with the raised section around the outside, four ramps coming out of the center of each side with a jump over a pit in the middle, yes? Sometimes the pit has holographic flames? Ramps in the corners to allow duellists to get up to the second level?

If so, I *know* I've got it, likely in my CW box and I can dig it out tomorrow, snap some pics and link them up here.

Jason
MongolHorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Automohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
This is Warrior Stadium from L'Outrance, not Hammer Downs. Warrior Stadium is a good choice for a 3D map for 1x-3x scale, as is the Rubberway (also from L'Outrance).
oh....okay. Thanks for the correction. Obviously I don't know what it looks like. I did like the looks of that one, so if we cant find a good Hammer Downs layout maybe I can convince Lok to go with this one.

I so look forward to the Independence Day mayhem.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
LokRobster

Warrior from L'Outrance [I wonder if Ray still has that set? I know he used to...] looks like a good one. I didn't recall that Hammer Downs was the raised-edge, 4-way-jump pit arena.

I remember seeing pics of that World Championship - lots of jumping and whatnot. Rule-wise it'd probably be easier with a more flat-ish surface.

I think we should link 2 big rectangular tables, though - maybe use and expand that Warrior pattern onto it?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Automohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
I think we should link 2 big rectangular tables, though - maybe use and expand that Warrior pattern onto it?
That sounds good to me. Give me some measurements and one of us can build the outside wall and the other can get the inner platform and ramps? We should also consider the main arena floor if we want to go all out and take some awesome pics.