Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
FatherMackenzie

Default Mind Flayer Racial Template

Hello. I've been translating the Mind Flayer (from Dungeons & Dragons) into GURPS, and this is what I came up with.

Mind Flayer: 260 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10]; DX+2 [40]; IQ+6 [120]; HT+1 [10]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Per-2 [-10]; Will +2 [10]
Advantages:
Brain-Eating (See below) [12]
Damage Resistance 2 (Tough Skin, -40%) [6]
Indomitable [15]
Infravision [10]
Lifting ST +3 (One attack only: Brain-Eating, -60%) [4]
Mind Blast (See below) [48]
Mind Shield 5 [20]
PK Talent 1 [5]
Reduced Consumption 4 [8]
Slippery 3 [6]
Telepathy Talent 2 [10]
Tentacles (See below) [56]
Unfazeable [15]
Perk: No Sense of Smell/Taste reduced to No Sense of Smell [1]
Disadvantages:
Callous [-5]
Hard of Hearing [-10]
Intolerance (Total) [-10]
Megalomania [-10]
No Sense of Humor [-10]
No Sense of Smell [-5]
Reputation (Evil, brain-sucking abomination, -4; applies to everyone) [-20]
Restricted Diet (Brains) [-20]
Sadism (15) [-7]
Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]
Quirks:
Dislike physical labor; Prefer moisture to dryness; Prefer telepathy to speech; Sexless [-4]

Typical Powers (102 points extra):
Mind Control (No Memory, +10%; Suggestion, -40%; Telepathy, -10%) [30]
Mind Reading (Telepathy, -10%) [27]
Telecommunication (Telesend; Telepathy, -10%) [27]
Walk on Air (PK, -10%) [18]

Brain-Eating:
Constriction Attack (Tentacles only, -20%) [12].
This attack isn't really constriction; it's basically the mind flayer burrowing into the skull and eating the brain.
Developed on this thread.

Tentacles:
4 Extra Arms (Extra-Flexible, +50%; Temporary Disadvantage: Ham-Fisted, -10%) [56].

Mind Blast:
Affliction 1 (Based on Will, +20%; Cone (15 yard length and width), +200%; Malediction 2, +150%; Secondary Paralysis, +30%; Visible, -10%; Telepathic, -10%) [48].

OPTIONS:
  • Tentacles have the Short limitation [-20]
  • Cannot Speak (Mute) [-25]
  • Replace Mind Shield 5 with Magic Resistance 10 [0]
Suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited by FatherMackenzie; 06-06-2007 at 04:43 PM.
FatherMackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
nerdvana

Default Re: Mind Flayer Racial Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherMackenzie
QUESTIONS:
OK, I got the Mind Blast straight from the Basic Set. Still, the mind flayer's traditional mind blast is a cone. Should I add this to the effect? (This might be difficult, since Malediction eliminates the Range of the attack entirely.)
I would limit its range and apply a cone to it, yes.

Quote:
Also, is anything with the Telepathy modifier assumed the have Low or No Signature? Mind reading isn't exactly accompanied by a thunderclap and flash of light, is it?
No thunderclap or flashes of light, but a psionic signature that can be sensed by those with the capacity, potentially even a lingering one. At least that is the assumption from past GURPS editions and how I would play it. Low or No Signature would reduce or eliminate this.

Quote:
Am I overdoing it with the reaction penalties? Mind flayers have -12 to reaction penalties from their appearance, Reputation, and Social Stigma (Monster). Maybe I should get rid of one (or both) of the latter two? Illithids have (in addition to those) Sadism, Megalomania and No Sense of Humor, which can add up to -7 MORE to the reaction penalties, so mind flayers still have to really make an effort to interact with the rest of civilization.
Yes, -12 is a bit much. First, I'd not have them be Monstrous personally (they aren't as hideous as a Nosferatu from WoD for example...) heck, I'd almost say they are attractive in an alien and disturbing way. I'd have most of their negative reaction come from the other traits.

Quote:
And about Indomitable--Mind flayers aren't exactly humanoids, and they're certainly not spirits, plants, or animals. Should normal Empathy apply to them? (Mind flayer psychology is VERY alien to normal humans, so probably not.) Or should there be a new "Monster Empathy" ability? If so, how many points would it be worth? Alternatively, I could just make Indomitable Cosmic...
Personally I'd make it Resitant to Influence and limit it to Doesn't Protect from other Mind Flayers (unsure the value to give this this moment, maybe -20%? That's what I'll work with), +3 to IQ/Will rolls (x1/3) and call Influence common. This would make it a 4 point trait. I would leave them influencd by Empathy as it is the default for sentient beings who aren't spirits (or plants).

Quote:
Is Terror really appropriate? I mean, illithids are creepy-looking, even alien, but they're still just monsters. Most adventurers have probably seen it all before.
That's up to you. I'd not add it for my game, but I'm working on a SciFi game. If I were directly translating from D&D I'd not, as there is no mechanic. However, it is not un-thematic for a cthulhu-ish species to have that.

Quote:
One more thing--should mind flayers have magic and/or psionics resistance instead of or in addition to Mind Shield? Mind flayers traditionally have Spell Resistance or Psi Resistance in D&D, but Mind Shield seems more appropriate.
In a traditional fantasy game with magic I would include Magic Resistance. Mind Shield is better than Psi Resistance IMO however.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Blackseasofinfinity

Mmmm illithids... Coolest mob from Dungeons and Dragons if you also apply the Lich template =).

Hey, I'm interested in seeing a Vampire Illithid template! This was as real monster in the Monster Manual III. They were stark-raving mad, too... so awesome =).
Blackseasofinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
FatherMackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana
I would limit its range and apply a cone to it, yes.
Yes, but HOW would you limit its range?

Quote:
No thunderclap or flashes of light, but a psionic signature that can be sensed by those with the capacity, potentially even a lingering one. At least that is the assumption from past GURPS editions and how I would play it. Low or No Signature would reduce or eliminate this.
All right. You could even argue that the Mind Blast has high signature for that purpose (it has a slight visible effect in addition to a psionic residue).

Quote:
Yes, -12 is a bit much. First, I'd not have them be Monstrous personally (they aren't as hideous as a Nosferatu from WoD for example...) heck, I'd almost say they are attractive in an alien and disturbing way. I'd have most of their negative reaction come from the other traits.
I see your point. I'll get rid of Monstrous. (Also see my response to your Terror suggestion.) Maybe I'll get rid of Social Stigma (Monster) as well. Also, the Reputation would be worth fewer points--it shouldn't apply to other evil races without racial grudges towards illithids.

Quote:
Personally I'd make it Resitant to Influence and limit it to Doesn't Protect from other Mind Flayers (unsure the value to give this this moment, maybe -20%? That's what I'll work with), +3 to IQ/Will rolls (x1/3) and call Influence common. This would make it a 4 point trait. I would leave them influencd by Empathy as it is the default for sentient beings who aren't spirits (or plants).
It would protect from other mind flayers, though. Mind flayers only listen to the Elder Brain, which would have Empathy. Other than forming small hunting groups and hunting for thralls (which the elder brain would probably organize anyway), illithids mostly pursue their own agendas. I'll have them influenced by Empathy and leave the Indomitable/Resistant to Influence question open (I agree that it would be Common, though, since the cost for immunity is 15 points).

Quote:
That's up to you. I'd not add it for my game, but I'm working on a SciFi game. If I were directly translating from D&D I'd not, as there is no mechanic. However, it is not un-thematic for a cthulhu-ish species to have that.
Good point. I'll take it out. I would say that it depends on the setting, but you wouldn't use a mind flayer in a horror game--you'd use a more traditional Spawn of C'thulhu (which the mind flayer was based on anyway). I'm actually running a space opera/fantasy game right now. If you've seen enough aliens, tentacles are normal.

Quote:
In a traditional fantasy game with magic I would include Magic Resistance. Mind Shield is better than Psi Resistance IMO however.
I'll put it down as Magic Resistance 10 and offer Mind Shield as an alternative.

Thanks for all your input, by the way.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
nerdvana

Quote:
Yes, but HOW would you limit its range?
I hope this doesn't seem trite, but with the Reduced Range limiter (p115) and/or the Short-Range limiter (p112 of Powers). How much? I don't know, don't have my D&D books with me, just don't recall it having the same ranges that GURPS would give psionic powers.

Quote:
I see your point. I'll get rid of Monstrous. (Also see my response to your Terror suggestion.) Maybe I'll get rid of Social Stigma (Monster) as well. Also, the Reputation would be worth fewer points--it shouldn't apply to other evil races without racial grudges towards illithids.
I don't know a SS about their brain eating habits might be in order. :)

Quote:
It would protect from other mind flayers, though. Mind flayers only listen to the Elder Brain, which would have Empathy. Other than forming small hunting groups and hunting for thralls (which the elder brain would probably organize anyway), illithids mostly pursue their own agendas. I'll have them influenced by Empathy and leave the Indomitable/Resistant to Influence question open (I agree that it would be Common, though, since the cost for immunity is 15 points).
Forgot that aspect, haven't read much about Illithids in a long time. Will be again soon though, partially due to your posts. ;)

Quote:
Thanks for all your input, by the way.
You are quite welcome. :)
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
FatherMackenzie

Quote:
I hope this doesn't seem trite, but with the Reduced Range limiter (p115) and/or the Short-Range limiter (p112 of Powers). How much? I don't know, don't have my D&D books with me, just don't recall it having the same ranges that GURPS would give psionic powers.
Yes, but Malediction normally has infinite range.

Quote:
I don't know a SS about their brain eating habits might be in order.
The thing about a Social Stigma is that it applies to EVERYONE; you can single out groups that aren't effected with a Reputation. Still, maybe I should keep both. I'll have to think about it.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
Tsuru-Sennin

Quote:
Yes, but Malediction normally has infinite range.

See Powers page 101. Basically, the cones max width also becomes it's max length.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote