Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #81
Not

Default Re: Odious Personal Habits

I think we're discovering that some of these OPH might get mitigators for Not Amongst Own Kind.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #82
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
It would be surprising if there were no official ruling on Pedantry.
There'll be one just as soon as SJ can make it pedant-proof.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #83
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
I'd count pedantry as a -1 reaction, and when two pedants argue enough to derail a topic as -2. Pedantry in the face of danger, at funerals, or at other inappropriate times might garner -3, but it's hard to imagine that as being as bad as cannibalism, purposefully spreading disease, or the like. Plus unless you're seeking out funerals at which to be a pedant, it won't reach -15CP due to accessibility limitations.
I give you now Professor Twist,
A conscientious scientist.
Trustees exclaimed, "He never bungles!"
And sent him off to distant jungles.
Camped on a tropic riverside,
One day he missed his loving bride.
She had, the guide informed him later,
Been eaten by an alligator.
Professor Twist could not but smile.
"You mean," said he, "a crocodile."

(Ogden Nash)

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #84
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Happens most often to English speakers for Latin. This particular arrangement baffles me because English is as much a Germanic language as it is a Latin one, but I've never seen Someone rag on about how proper Capitalization should be for every Noun, not just the proper Ones.
That's because German lacks the prestige of Latin. Even for native German speakers, Latin and Greek are prestige languages, and have been for centuries. And at the height of English grammatical pedantry, German had much less scholarly and cultural credibility than it has now; French was the language of the upper upper, and the French looked up to Latin. . . .

Old 10-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #85
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"Insists on using [Foreign language] grammar rules and lecturing others about same, because [Langauge] is just a debased version of [Foreign language]."

Happens most often to English speakers for Latin. This particular arrangement baffles me because English is as much a Germanic language as it is a Latin one, but I've never seen Someone rag on about how proper Capitalization should be for every Noun, not just the proper Ones.
Latin has higher status. When the British Empire rose to pre-eminence, they looked back at Rome as the only worthy predecessor. Which led to a lot of rules from Latin being applied to English (not splitting infinitives, for instance).

You also have people doing the "argument from etymology." Since 'decimate' originally meant 'killing every tenth man', it should not be used when any other percentage is killed.

Words change
Languages change
But one thing I ween
Will never change
Whining over young men's speech
Old 10-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #86
Culture20

Quote:
I think we're discovering that some of these OPH might get mitigators for Not Amongst Own Kind.
Cannibalism amongst spiders doesn't have that mitigator. It just results in very anti-social interactions. Other species don't really care about the spider cannibalism though. Cannibalism for an otherwise sentient species which doesn't also include "eats any sentient" would be an unusual case, and I think OPH might apply.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #87
David Johnston2

Quote:
As per Social Engineering a reference society should be set and the values for a social disadvantage sould be based on how the reference society reacts. Thus elves are pretty and orcs are ugly when the reference society is human, even though elves and orcs don't really react like that within their own societies. The same applies to OPHs. Dark Trolls who insist on eating their defeated foes have an OPH even though other Dark Trolls are fine with it, as long as that is how the reference society reacts.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #88
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
As per Social Engineering a reference society should be set and the values for a social disadvantage sould be based on how the reference society reacts. Thus elves are pretty and orcs are ugly when the reference society is human, even though elves and orcs don't really react like that within their own societies. The same applies to OPHs. Dark Trolls who insist on eating their defeated foes have an OPH even though other Dark Trolls are fine with it, as long as that is how the reference society reacts.
You can take it that way. On the other hand, you don't have to. In my current fantasy campaign, elves are Attractive—and elves all react a little more favorably to each other, and have harmonious social relations, and in fact are a little taken aback by anyone who is so rude as to disagree openly; and ghouls are Unattractive—and ghouls naturally react a little negatively to each other, and quarrel frequently.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #89
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

My own view of OPH would be roughly this:

-5: People will stay in your presence, but will have obvious signs of disgust.

-10: People will try to remove themselves from your presence as soon as possible. (A plausible one for the punster habit, actually.)

-15: People will try to remove you from their presence as soon as possible. (i.e., institutionalization or something similar.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #90
jason taylor

Quote:
Alternatively "own kind" could subsume the OPH within a Social Stigma already possessed("Why do I care if the Whatevers want to eat each other; fewer the better I say").

Tags
disadvantage, disadvantages, mental disadvantage, odious personal habit