Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #91
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Odious Personal Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Alternatively "own kind" could subsume the OPH within a Social Stigma already possessed("Why do I care if the Whatevers want to eat each other; fewer the better I say").
OPH: Cannibalistic vs. Social Stigma: Monster.
I kind of expect nearly all monsters to eat each other when one looks weak. It's part of what makes a monster to me.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #92
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You can take it that way. On the other hand, you don't have to. In my current fantasy campaign, elves are Attractive—and elves all react a little more favorably to each other, and have harmonious social relations, and in fact are a little taken aback by anyone who is so rude as to disagree openly; and ghouls are Unattractive—and ghouls naturally react a little negatively to each other, and quarrel frequently.
That seems to imply an inability to adapt "zeroing" out to a baseline. For elves and monstrous humanoids, I kind of like that. Subtle rigidity.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #93
David Johnston2

Quote:
You can take it that way. On the other hand, you don't have to. In my current fantasy campaign, elves are Attractive—and elves all react a little more favorably to each other, and have harmonious social relations, and in fact are a little taken aback by anyone who is so rude as to disagree openly; and ghouls are Unattractive—and ghouls naturally react a little negatively to each other, and quarrel frequently.
How does a species reproduce when they find each other repulsive?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #94
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Alcohol.
Desperation.
Paper bags on heads.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #95
whswhs

Quote:
Do you know the old joke about "beer goggles"?

In the first place, ghouls don't find each other repulsive. It's more "not all that appealing" or "lacking in charm." They're a bit more aggressive and quarrelsome than humans, and so they're more likely to take offense at each other's looks, behavior, and even smell; and success in ghoul societies goes with readiness to show offense.

But in the second place, when a ghoulwife is "in the mood," she's able to emit pheromones that change the emotional state of ghouls—and, indeed, of males of other humanoid races, to a degree; there are legends about the sinister allure of ghoulwives.

In the third place, though, when a ghoulwife is ready, she'll feel a sense of frustration that makes her ready to look for relief, even from males whom she doesn't feel attracted to in the ordinary course of life and holds in mild contempt for their being smaller and less aggressive. At the least pleasant end of the spectrum, think of a convict who doesn't consider himself "gay" and is only attracted to women on the outside turning to available gratifications while in prison. (Ghouls are intended to be a bit creepy; they're my world's analog of Tolkien's orcs, sort of.)

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #96
Not

Never expected a serious answer to that question.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #97
whswhs

Wouldn't the issue be less a matter of the species failing to reproduce at all but potentially falling into decline? Or are hybrid ghouls close enough to ghouls that it actually strengthens the species?

Where do "hybrids" come in? There are male ghouls, after all. The fact that ghoulwives can have some effect on men and nixies and elves doesn't mean that they can't seduce ghouls.

My analysis is that all of the humanoid races occasionally mate with some of the other human races, and occasionally produce offspring, and those offspring are occasionally fertile. But all three are significantly less frequent. Ghoulwives who turn to seduction of males of other races do so as a social parasitism strategy.

Still, there is gene flow between the races. And there's more of it in the nixie metropolises, the Urbes Septemplex, because they have substantial populations of metics of the other races.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #98
jason taylor

Quote:
The way fish do. They deposit the reproductive material on a rock and leave.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 AM   #99
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Do you know the old joke about "beer goggles"?
Not a joke as there was a legitimate research experiment measuring its effect on how attractive others appear.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #100
Otaku

Quote:
Wouldn't the issue be less a matter of the species failing to reproduce at all but potentially falling into decline? Or are hybrid ghouls close enough to ghouls that it actually strengthens the species?

Where do "hybrids" come in? There are male ghouls, after all. The fact that ghoulwives can have some effect on men and nixies and elves doesn't mean that they can't seduce ghouls.
So can you guess why I deleted the comment? After posting my question and re-reading your post (just a few minutes later, if that long) I realized some of the answer to my question. I'll take a moment since I have had my weekend plans changed at the last minute and don't know if I'll get another chance while this thread is still active (it might keep going for weeks, it might dry up this evening XD).

Again, part of why I deleted the question: I realized afterward that the two effects together would overcome ghouls finding other species preferable, which is how I read your post. At first reading, it sounded like ghouls would be more inclined to pursue "prettier" races when it was an option.

Hybrids come into play because of you specifically citing ghoulwives as being enticing. If ghouls find other species as better looking than their own plus have the capacity to entice those species that normally also don't care for a ghoul's appearance, then I would expect a significant amount to pursue those more attractive options. If a half-ghoul counts as a ghoul, no problem. If the ghoul species readily assimilates the beneficial traits of half-breeds into the general population, even better.

Quote:
My analysis is that all of the humanoid races occasionally mate with some of the other human races, and occasionally produce offspring, and those offspring are occasionally fertile. But all three are significantly less frequent. Ghoulwives who turn to seduction of males of other races do so as a social parasitism strategy.

Still, there is gene flow between the races. And there's more of it in the nixie metropolises, the Urbes Septemplex, because they have substantial populations of metics of the other races.
Okay. Thanks for answering that question.

Edit: Had a minute to check back in. Probably should have left well enough alone, though again I did appreciate the answer.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 10-10-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, disadvantages, mental disadvantage, odious personal habit