Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
malloyd

Default Re: Soldierly Honesty (and spies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
A spy is breaking the laws of the country he's in, but that's OK, as this is a hostile country to his own.
Actually it's not OK. Look at it again. The part about obeying the laws of your home country in an area of little or no law makes it pretty clear if you are Honest you must obey *both* the laws of where you are and of your own nation.

Of course it then goes on to contradict itself with all that stuff about fair trials and it being OK to steal at great need but not murder, even though a lot of places have harsher laws against stealing than against murdering the peasants....

I think the problem is Honesty got written with a modern American bias and never revised to a generic form. It can't quite decide which of two different disadvantages it is - Compulsion (obey any laws that apply to you) and Code of Honor (good citizenship of a liberal state). I think these are about -15* and -5 flat points respectively. A spy could not have the first (just the [intent] to spy is a crime most places), the second would be at worst slightly inconvenient, constraining you from using the more intrusive tactics against targets who might possibly be innocents.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Figleaf23
Banned

This question can be boiled down to much greater clarity: What does an Honest character do when laws conflict?
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
This question can be boiled down to much greater clarity: What does an Honest character do when laws conflict?
Probably picks the set of laws he likes better.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
SuedodeuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
A spy might break international law, but espionage itself is not, per se, a violation of international law. (Spies are outside the scope of special international protections which apply to, e.g., regular soldiers in a war, but that's not the same as breaking international law.)
I wasn't certain if espionage alone was considered illegal on the international stage. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Actually it's not OK. Look at it again. The part about obeying the laws of your home country in an area of little or no law makes it pretty clear if you are Honest you must obey *both* the laws of where you are and of your own nation.
Personally, I think when dealing with an enemy country you are going to consider the laws completely invalid and not applying to you. Otherwise, you can't have an Honest grunt capable of doing his job if the country he's fighting is, say, a hierarchy in which laws only apply to associations with those of the same social class or higher - one can abuse those not of the same or higher status and if the lower fights back he/she is arrested (as the soldier is outside of said social class, he cannot engage any enemies, as this is illegal). That seems ridiculously artificial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Probably picks the set of laws he likes better.
I would expect an Honest character to consider laws that conflict with his home laws as illegitimate, barbaric, etc. He would probably default to his own laws. Just as the character doesn't "go wild" in lawless areas, I don't think he's going to do essentially the same thing just because a country's laws tell him to. I could be mistaken - GURPS Disadvantages in general seem to be rather extreme versions of their real-life counterparts.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post

I would expect an Honest character to consider laws that conflict with his home laws as illegitimate, barbaric, etc. He would probably default to his own laws. .
Usually. But in some cases, he may simply find the foreign legal code to be better (perhaps more in accord with his other mental disads) and switch allegiances. After which of course he has a new set of "home laws"
Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Miles

Hey guys, just thought I should point this out. Infinite Worlds page 180 has this to say about honesty.

Quote:
An Honest character, in a different time or place, acts as though the laws and morals of his own home were still in force.
Make of that what you will.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Can spies be honest in Gurps terms?
I think that as written, you wouldn't find many field ops with Honesty. Now, a Code of Honor, sure...

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Hey guys, just thought I should point this out. Infinite Worlds page 180 has this to say about honesty.
Make of that what you will.
Hmmmm. Just Hmmmm. And now I have to wonder whether or not that is in addition to local laws or not.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 AM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Hmmmm. Just Hmmmm. And now I have to wonder whether or not that is in addition to local laws or not.
An Honest person should obey the local laws when they aren't in conflict with their native laws, I'm sure.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
LemmingLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
An Honest person should obey the local laws when they aren't in conflict with their native laws, I'm sure.
Even if that was the intent of the authors, which doesn't seem likely bsed on the wording in the book, again, since it is illegal in your home country to steal secrets from the government, a character with honesty would not be a spy..

UNLESS it was necessary for survival as is listed for "stealing food" and so forth - but as soon as the honest spy delivered the critical information, he would turn himself in to the authorities of the foreign nation, exceptin the likely lethal punishment.

Tags
advantages, espionage, honesty, war