Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #21
David Bofinger

Default Re: Pole weapons and illusion spell.

Can a one-hex illusion with a spear jab?
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #22
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
Can a one-hex illusion with a spear jab?
Yes. He just can't let go of it (the illusion cannot divide), which means he can't drop it or throw it either

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
JohnPaulB

AW page 5
“It is better to combat an illusion mentally, by “Disbelieving” it. Disbelief is a psychic exercise – actually a magic spell so simple that anyone may attempt it. If ANYONE can truly disbelieve an illusion, the knot of force making it up will unravel and the illusion will vanish. Any damage done by the illusion, though, is REAL and remains.”

Is the Knot of Force that makes up the illusion... in the victim’s mind, inside the caster’s mind or is it outside of all of them, sort of floating in the aether?

The reason I ask is that when I started TFT, I inadvertantly thought that Illusion was put in each victim’s mind. My current take on the RAW, if three people see the same illusion and one disbelieves, the 'aetherial' knot of force is unravel and it disappears for all of them.

So my view was if Joe disbelieved it, the illusion unknotted in his mind and disappeared, but not in the other two PCs until they themselves disbelieve it.

That makes it real interesting, because now Joe can’t see it, but he can see Sam and Dave fighting an invisible figure. Now Joe tries to convince Sam to disbelieve, that its all an illusion. But Sam is too busy and fails. All Joe can do is wait for the illusion to end, be killed or go kill the wizard that cast it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #24
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I wonder if GMs should specifically be told that they can allow a bonus to disbelieve on anything that seems to call for it?
So Joe and crew have read in a book that there will be an illusion of a Naga in the Red Room. (It is activated whenever someone comes 10 feet into the room) They "know" it is an illusion. They enter the room and the Naga comes around a corner. Is that a situation for the bonus?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #25
Skarg

If I were to house-rule a way to nerf illusions for some campaigns (which I don't particularly think is necessary, but I might choose to do anyway), I think I might choose to do it by making it so that the first time an illusion attacks someone and would hurt them, the victim gets to make a free IQ roll to disbelieve the illusion.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote