Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Walrus

Default Re: Stat Challenge: Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
This fits in with his dislike for the "Yellow Eye".
And still I'd suppose more Susceptible to Good Artifacts, not Weakness. He was kept with elven rope at neck for several weeks or even monthes without nothing more than Moderate Pain and mundane callus.

And he certainly doesn't have Low Pain Treshold. One can't have this and go outfield without cloth and shoes even while being a hobbit.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
And still I'd suppose more Susceptible to Good Artifacts, not Weakness. He was kept with elven rope at neck for several weeks or even monthes without nothing more than Moderate Pain and mundane callus.

And he certainly doesn't have Low Pain Treshold. One can't have this and go outfield without cloth and shoes even while being a hobbit.
Feelings of temperature are not the same as pain in reality or gurps terms. If that's what you mean. Besides, there's a difference between painful situations under your control and those outside of it. Going outside was under his control.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #23
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Not that it matters but, he gets a lot of points from disads that give negative reaction modifiers, this smacks of double dipping as he both vigourously avoids social interaction, and past a certain point everybody hates him anyway it doesn't really matter by how much.
Double-dipping doesn't really matter when you're statting up an NPC, it's more of an exercise in establishing verisimilitude.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Anders

I like doing these write-ups! I'm thinking of statting Dr. Clayton Forrester next.

I'll be thinking about what you've said until tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Yeah, I don't have a problem with his strength as-written. He is clearly much stronger than he looks and seems to be treated as a genuine menace to a sword-armed Bilbo and to easily overpower most other Hobbits in grappling (all but the much larger Sam) from what we see on-screen.

But he can stand up and use his hands without penalties. Maybe Semi-Upright?
Yeah that, I was thinkin somethin like that...

[---]

He bashes fish against rocks or just eats them while they're still moving. And then there's the brutish animalistic way he breaks little animals backs to kill them. Perhaps another odious personal habit.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 01-23-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I like doing these write-ups! I'm thinking of statting Dr. Clayton Forrester next.
The one from War of the Worlds or the one from MST2K?
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Not that it matters but, he gets a lot of points from disads that give negative reaction modifiers, this smacks of double dipping as he both vigourously avoids social interaction, and past a certain point everybody hates him anyway it doesn't really matter by how much.

He needs a lot of Temperature Tolerance. He spends most of his time cold and wet, a human would be dead of hypothermia within days.
So would most hobbits (since hobbits are basically human anyway). But Smeagol is different, the Ring has to some degree mutated him into something a little different. He's still flesh-and-blood, but his limits and strengths are no longer exactly those of a hobbit.

As Gandalf told Frodo in the novel, there's onl one Power that knows all about the Rings and their effects (i.e. Sauron) and no Power (meaing Ainur) that knows all about hobbits, so predicting the interaction over centuries would be challenging. Smeagol could reasonably have lots of 'unique' traits.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #28
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
The one from War of the Worlds or the one from MST2K?
MST3k. I'm watching the episodes at a pace of one a day.

Edit: Edited Gollum to remove Weakness and add a Dislike for "good" artifacts, as well as a Perk and a Quirk to account for his running habits.

Last edited by Anders; 01-15-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
Adversary

Seems like he should have higher health, fit, or some other type of endurance advantage. Gollum endures tremendous hardship, from being tortured by Sauron, to traveling alone all across the wild. When he is with Frodo and Sam, he keeps going when even they (hardy hobbits) are dead on their feet, while eating less than they are.

Needs some kind of area or secret knowledge--paths of the wastes and into Mordor.

I'd say he also has some kind of pitiable looks, probably switchable, and perhaps fast talk or acting as well. He's able to keep Frodo fooled, and to get out of trouble by groveling for his life a few times. At other times he's quite intimidating.

How about some skill in riddles?
Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
Seems like he should have higher health, fit, or some other type of endurance advantage. Gollum endures tremendous hardship, from being tortured by Sauron, to traveling alone all across the wild. When he is with Frodo and Sam, he keeps going when even they (hardy hobbits) are dead on their feet, while eating less than they are.

Needs some kind of area or secret knowledge--paths of the wastes and into Mordor.

I'd say he also has some kind of pitiable looks, probably switchable, and perhaps fast talk or acting as well. He's able to keep Frodo fooled, and to get out of trouble by groveling for his life a few times. At other times he's quite intimidating.
It's not that Frodo was quite 'fooled'. Gollum/Smeagol was genuinely torn two ways, his pitiable-ness was partly real, alongside his very real evil.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 01-20-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Tags
character stats, filthy pocketsssesss, lotr