Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
David Johansen

Default Proportionaly Scaled Availabilty (-50%)

I want to run a supers game, what with Avengers being out and all and as is well known around here I absolutely hate the Super Effort Strength from supers.

So, I had a thought on a limitation for strength that models genre conventions without being a Pact (genre conventions) which is only -20% anyhow.

Proportionaly Scaled Availability only adds to the character's Strength in direct proportion to the target's Strength / Size. So against a Strength 20 foe it will only add 20 points.

Whaddya think? Is -50% too much?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Proportionaly Scaled Availabilty (-50%)

It depends on how often the extra ST comes up.
Another option is Power Blow and give bonuses or peanlties to skill based on circumstances.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Is this modifier intended to go with Super Strength, or with regular strength? I think that makes a difference...
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post

So, I had a thought on a limitation for strength that models genre conventions without being a Pact (genre conventions) which is only -20% anyhow.
As GM, the pact value is whatever you want it to be.

Quote:
Proportionaly Scaled Availability only adds to the character's Strength in direct proportion to the target's Strength / Size. So against a Strength 20 foe it will only add 20 points.

Compared to other Accessibility, -50 is WAY too much if you want it to be RAW-ish. I doubt I'd give more than -10% for what sounds very close to "only when I need it." But it's your game, so whatever! ST is way overpriced in most genres anyway.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Compared to other Accessibility, -50 is WAY too much if you want it to be RAW-ish. I doubt I'd give more than -10% for what sounds very close to "only when I need it."
Yeah, -50% is too much. If you're limited to matching an enemy's ST, or maybe just enough to heft an object, it might be worth -20%or so. It might not be appropriate for it to grant extra HP.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Refplace

On this thread I am curious as to feedback to a related advantage I cam up with and posted but kind of got glossed over in that thread.
I was thinking about an advantage like Growth where you get a 10% discount off certain powers for +1 SM to a max of -80%
The justification for growth is that your easier to hit with ranged attacks, easier to spot and some gear and buildings hard to work with.

So lets say you have a power boost ability that gives you a discount to its related ability (say fire) and makes you easier to spot as your giving off energy and easier to hit or target (possibly only with related attacks but more likely with just about anything) and have a similar problem with fitting into or walking around normal objects.

It can be a simpler build then a few copies of AF
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
I want to run a supers game, what with Avengers being out and all and as is well known around here I absolutely hate the Super Effort Strength from supers.

Let me make sure I'm understanding correctly:
  • ST 500 [4900]
    • "I have ST 500 all of the time."
  • ST 500 (Proportionally Scaled Availability, -50%) [2450]
    • "I have ST 10, plus a number determined by the GM, up to a maximum of ST 500."
And you would like our opinion as to whether -50% is an appropriate value for that limitation?

:considers:

ST 10 [0]
ST +14 (Super Effort, +300%) [560], gives an effective ST of 510.
... sub-total: Effective ST 510 [560].

... which means that the limitation value should be -88.56% using these specific numbers, not -50%, otherwise it costs more than the equivalent amount of Super-Effort ST -and- is potentially more limited ...

As such, I'd suggest: Proportionally Scaled Availability, -80%.

If my understanding of what you want it to do is wrong, then my opinion won't be very useful. :grins:

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 05-14-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Fixed my errors as pointed out by others. =p
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Let me make sure I'm understanding correctly:
  • ST 500 [490]
    • "I have ST 500 all of the time."
  • ST 500 (Proportionally Scaled Availability, -50%) [245]
    • "I have ST 10, plus a number determined by the GM, up to a maximum of ST 500."
And you would like our opinion as to whether -50% is an appropriate value for that limitation?
ST 500 would be 490 x 10, so ST 500 [4900] not [490] ST is not 1 point!
Quote:

ST 10 [0]
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 150.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 200.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 300.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 500.
... sub-total: Effective ST 500 [160].
Super Effort on ST +1 for 40 points gives a super effort ST of +3 ... YES +3 for one level. YES it is more expensive than just buying unmodified ST. You seem to be applying Super Effort by adding the basic 10 ST you start with to your level of super effort before going to the speed range table. That's not how it works. You only use the levels of ST that have actually been enhanced when referencing the speed/range table for super value.

Super effort is not worth taking on a ST bonus less than +8
Quote:
I'd suggest: Proportionally Scaled Availability, -70% at minimum, with -80% not being out of line (depending on how often they are going to get to use their full ST).
Super Effort costs fatigue and requires rolls, it has all kind of special instances that make this kind of straight comparison strained.

I've had luck with a 5 point ST model... 50% sounds fine if that's what you think works in your game.

I agree that super effort is a messy beast that goes from ridiculously over priced to ridiculously cheap in just a few levels. Do whatever you have to to!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 05-14-2012 at 11:34 AM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Refplace

Quote:

ST 10 [0]
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 150.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 200.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 300.
ST +1 (Super Effort, +300%) [40], gives an effective ST of 500.
... sub-total: Effective ST 500 [160].

I believe your numbers are off.
ST +1 (Super Effort) is +3 ST for 13 if base 10 instead of the suggested base 20
ST +2 is +5 ST
ST +3 is +7 ST
ST +4 is +10 ST
To get about 500 ST with base 10 you need Super Effort on +14 ST [560]
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
ST 500 would be 490 x 10, ST is not 1 point!
... tis what I get for posting without my books handy. Oops.

Fixing. :grins:

And fixed.

Last edited by Sunrunners_Fire; 05-14-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote