Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Rogueliberty

Default OGRES equipped with the Descartes Package

The Descartes Revolution Page 11, OGRE Miniatures.

...mentions about OGREs who were equipped with this:

"These new Ogres had a much better survival record on the battlefield. They seemed cleverer, and they were certainly harder to kill."

I always thought it would be cool to have some way this could be used in the game.
That players could choose to pay points for equipping OGREs with a Descartes Package.
You could even have different levels of sophistication, yielding increased advantages available at higher costs.
Not only would this bring some of the cool fluff into a playable game mechanic, giving players more choices, but would also add a nice way to adjust each sides difficulty.
An experienced player could run normal OGREs against an inexperienced players OGREs equipped with Descartes Packages to make the game more fair for the new player for example.
Experienced players could choose to run Ogres without the Descartes Packages against another experienced players OGREs not equipped with them for the added challenge, and other combinations as the players choose.
I was thinking at least let OGREs so equipped have a bonus to the Initiative roll. The more advanced the Package, the more bonus.
Now, if both players decide on the same Descartes Package yielding the same bonus to initiative, it would cancel each other out.
...and what about multiple OGREs on the same side with different levels of Descartes Packages?
...This has me thinking you could roll Initiative for the OGREs so equipped individually...but how to manage that?
I also think in addition to an Initiative bonus, OGREs equipped with a Descartes Package should gain a bonus To Hit, because "These OGREs had a much better survival record on the battlefield. They seemed cleverer, and they were certainly harder to kill".
Which has me thinking of having both an Initiative and To Hit bonus, this would make it so players with the same level Descartes Packages, even though they may have the same increased Initiative bonus cancelling each other out, they still get the To Hit bonus.

If such a thing were to ever be put into the game, the upcoming release of OGRE 6th edition would be the time to do so.

I think it would be a good addition to the game.
It would add more replay value to the game because of all the combinations of OGREs with and without the Descartes Package that could be decided upon and pitted against one another, as well as using it to balance a game between experienced and inexperienced players, or deliberately unbalancing it for added challenge. It would also make for some interesting new scenarios.
Rogueliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Atomic Kennedy

Default Re: OGRES equipped with the Descartes Package

I think it's meant to be in the game already; it refers to the player controlling the Ogre in a tongue-in-cheek way.

--AK
Atomic Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
hcobb

Default Re: OGRES equipped with the Descartes Package

I've suggested split fire for self-aware Ogres.

Declare any number of attacks and declare the Ogre's next move then resolve the attacks and resolve the move. It trades off unexpected overruns and wasted multiple attacks vs much more flexibility in staging attacks.