Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Vehicle Builder

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
shinygm

Default Is GURPS Vehicle Builder dead?

Is this program still supported? I see it is still for sale. Is it compatible with GURPS 4? Am I the only person who cares?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Is GURPS Vehicle Builder dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinygm View Post
Is this program still supported? I see it is still for sale. Is it compatible with GURPS 4? Am I the only person who cares?
It's 3rd edition. 4th edition Vehicle Design System is still in production. I don't think it's officially supported anymore. But there are experienced gamers on the forums if you can catch them.

I've recently gotten interested again in Vehicles, so I care.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
merry442

3rd edition ( with both compendiums) seems very close to 4th Edition and I think that the GVB program is very relevant. I think the difference is in the fan support. Character Assistant has numerous online file repositories and forums whereas GVB has only the one here at SJG. Fire, Fusion and Steel Vol. 2 for Traveller: The New Era was published in 1993 and there are still many Traveller players who are willing to spend hours building original plans for Traveller. I think the situation is the same for Vehicle builder in that, as long as there are players who enjoy completely original designs, there will be a demand for GURPS Vehicles and the GURPS Vehicle Builder. So I say that GVB is not dead at all. What it needs is a fan site or a blog somewhere.
merry442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Dunno, I just switched over to Vehicles as built using Spaceships-expanded rules.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
SalsaDoom

Honestly, my guess is that there will be a different version entirely for the 4th edit vehicle design rules. I doubt it would have much in common with the 3rd edition stuff so if it ends up existing it'll be essentially an entirely different product.

The expanded space ship rules actually makes decent enough ultra-tech vehicles but its no substitude for the real thing when detail and unusual designs are important.

I'm expecting to have to buy the 4th edition compatible program and I'm totally fine with that.
SalsaDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

The necessary 4th ed Vehice Design System is still in a pre-publication stage. It has been for a long time and is not expected to be ready for at leas tsoem time more.

A 4th ed vehicle design program would have to come some time after that but might not be as hard as some might think. Some mathematical formulas would probably need to be changed but I am not sure that major structural work would be needed.

Complicating things is that I haven't heard from GVB's creators in rather a while.

Bottom line is that right now VE2/GVB is the only game in town for detailed vehicle creation. It can be used with 4th ed in a modular fashion by using it to substitute for the rather limited 4th ed vehicles rules. I have done so and it worked fine.

A replacemnt for even VE2 is only on the medium to far horizon. A replacement for GVB is somewhere beyond that.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
tjoneslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinygm View Post
As one of the original authors I am still around to answer questions, and provides some fixes. I can help with the program, offer repository formula fixes (if you find bugs). There is no plan to release a new version of GVB.

The GURPS 4th edition version of vehicle design rules is somewhere in the editing/rewrite post-playtest process. Both Tom Bont and I were participants in the playtest. It was (and is) our working plan to have the new version of GVB ready by the time the book was produced. Delays in the book has produced delays in the program. When I hear more about the status of the book, I'll be sure to update everyone here.

If you want to see a large collection of GVB produced vehicles, I recommend signing up for the Gurps Vehicles group on yahoogroups. Hank has been creating 5-10 vehicles a week for almost a year now. These are for a TL6/7 alternate history GURPS campaign and there more than 800 of them in the message archive.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote