Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Phil Masters

Default Re: In which setting do you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
... treats the Necronomicon as some kind of serious sorcerer book. ...
Which one?

(Lovecraft himself never wrote a book called "The Necronomicon"; he just mentioned it in his stories. Various publishers have cashed in on this by churning out assorted things using that title over the years since. None of them get taken very seriously by many people.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Either the entities are really horrible, then you cannot fight them and you get killed or worse. Game over.
In a serious transhuman situation, that is the exact position of humans. Though we may hope that the transhuman entities will like us and keep us as pets, or run wilderness preserves for us, as in the Culture novels.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
antares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Which one?

(Lovecraft himself never wrote a book called "The Necronomicon"; he just mentioned it in his stories. Various publishers have cashed in on this by churning out assorted things using that title over the years since. None of them get taken very seriously by many people.)
No idea. It is years that I have seen him. The book was about conjuring ancient Babylonian gods or demons.
antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Kitsune

About the Necronomicon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necronomicon
(Here the German wiki entry is somwhat more informative, especially as far as the Necronomicon's "original arabic version" and its various "translations" are concerned).
The book is just a plot device, of course, introduced by Lovecraft to make his stories more "authentic". Lovecraft's penpals Clarke Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard played along by mentioning the Necronomicon in their stories as well. In return, Smith came up with the Hyperborean "Book of Eibon", while Howard contributed von Junzt's "Unausprechlichen Kulten" (it's always called that in English, although correct German would be "Unausprechliche Kulte" - the mistake is allegedly due to August Derleth, when he tried to translate the title "Nameless Cults"). Soon everyone of the trio began to mention these books in his respective stories.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Created a Ghost character (who uses all sorts of shells, bio and cyber) that is meant for a Fifth Wave campaign. But it seems the GM is more interested in upcoming ÆS campaign than in running his THS one.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
antares

Wow. A lot of people play fifth wave.
I always thought that this was particular difficult. Not only because of the TL.
Also because lot of 5th wave life takes place in (maximum security) arcologies and gated communities (decay of the city you know).
for cyberpunk scenarios or in broken dreams I seams realistic to go with the PC into a sleazy bar and get a quest (ok, I know that is really a cliché kind of opening). However cannot imagine this to happen in the slick coffeebar of a mall or arcology though.
antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The only time I've actually succeeded in getting players to chose a Transhuman Space game, it was set aboard a RN SDV-90 on patrol in the belt. The PCs were an Alpha upgrade human, a genefixed baseline human, a Void-Angel bioroid, an Ishtar parahuman (an embedded SLink reporter) and an SAI operating a bushbot. It was supposed to be troupe-style with PC Marines and AKV "pilots" as well, but that didn't work out.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
whswhs

Quote:
Also because lot of 5th wave life takes place in (maximum security) arcologies and gated communities (decay of the city you know).
for cyberpunk scenarios or in broken dreams I seams realistic to go with the PC into a sleazy bar and get a quest (ok, I know that is really a cliché kind of opening). However cannot imagine this to happen in the slick coffeebar of a mall or arcology though.
Most fifth wave societies have actually gotten past decay of the city, as I read the setting. All that decay is to be found in backward third wave and early fourth wave cities.

I never used anything like your opening. My first group of PCs were partners in a private detective agency that specialized in informational crimes; cases came to them and they chose whether to take them. My second group had a backstory of having been involved in a conflict with an artificial monster during the Pacific War; three of the original four, plus the son of the fourth and the younger partner of one of the surviving three, starting getting entangled in new threats by way of having a common background. The posthuman terrors are more easily found in fifth wave communities. . . .

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Astromancer

I like spaceships, orbital colonies, wierd asteroid settlements and loney bases out in Deep Space and the dens of iniquity that serve them.

Yes, in my THS campaign the "Wreched hives of scum and villany" can come to visit your isolated base on a regular schedule. But you have to treat them nice.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
No idea. It is years that I have seen him. The book was about conjuring ancient Babylonian gods or demons.
I picked that one up at Waldenbooks in paperback about 25 years ago.

Here's the HPL quote, IIRC: "The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild, and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and reveling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom."

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll