Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Network > GURPS Vehicle Builder

Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
J. L. Brown

Default BVB & GT/2e volume problems

I just downloaded my copy of GVB from e23, and thought I'd take it for a quick spin. After utterly failing to make the design I had in mind, I thought I'd read the manual & do one of the example designs (brilliant idea including those, BTW). Page 15 of the Quick Start Guide has a TL10 Armed Beowulf freetrader as an example, and since I'm currently focused on Traveller I thought that was perfect.

I noticed my troubles shortly after step 7... the maneuver drives seemed to take up too many dTons. When step 8b said 'Leave the jump at one, as this is all a Beowulf has Notice GVB sets the proper tonnage to four. Press OK.' and I got 6 dTons, I got worried. My jump fuel tanks also ended up taking one and a half times the normal volume. Going back and checking all of the components, this seemed to be a common theme.

I have gotten up through step 16 of the example, and saved it. I'd like to know what I have done wrong. I can send the saved GVB file.

On a related note, I'd like to duplicate the modular cutter; how would I go about creating an 'Intrinsic Coupling'? Thanks in advance for any help!
J. L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
tjoneslo

Default Re: BVB & GT/2e volume problems

The directions in the supplied documentation was generated for GVB version 2.0 and the version you have is 2.02 (or should be). There are some subtle differences between the versions that did not make it into the tutorials.

The most obvious first thing I can think of is you missed (in step 1) setting the default TL for the vehicle. Select the vehicle node in the designer tree and press F2. In the Edit vehicles dialog select the Vehicle properties tab. Under Vehicle features, the TL should be set to 10. Every component you add to the vehicle after setting the spin box will default to being set to that TL. All of the components already in your vehicle are left alone. Set this to 10. Press OK.

You will need to go through each component you've added, edit it and manually set the TL to 10. For most components this has no effect. But on some it will.

Case in point the Jump Drive. The TL9 jump drives are twice the size of the TL10+ ones. The other option is you accidentally set the jump capacity of the drive to 2 (not 1).

If you have created all the links (steps 9 to 12) and the jump drive is "wrong", all the other will be too.

If you would like to have me review your work, you can send it to me via email tjoneslow at gmail
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
tjoneslo

Thank you for sending along a copy of your ship. I'm posting this here as it may also prove useful to others.

Upon review I found you had checked the "pressure proofed" option in the vehicle properties dialog/tab. Pressure proofing is an option from GURPS Atlantis to allow building deep-diving ROVs, and allows the vehicle to withstand dives to any depth (well, on earth, in the water).

The confusion probably arises from step 2, where the directions state "and check the sealed option". The Vehicle properties no longer includes a "sealed" option. Sealing a vehicle (making it capable of supporting passengers in a vacuum) is now a component in the surface features repository.

So to fix your vehicle, uncheck the "pressure proofed" option on the vehicle properties tab. Then select the Surface Features package in the vehicle design tree. Then in the repository window open the Surface and External features, Generic Surface Features and and add the "TL5 Sealed" component.

This will get you back on track.
tjoneslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
J. L. Brown

Thank you! I was puzzled about the 'sealed' thing, and thought maybe it had simply been renamed.
J. L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote