Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #21
Phantasm

Default Re: [Space Opera] Combat Loadouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Keep in mind the Space Opera feel. After all, when whatisface went down in Invid Invasion, he pulled out a transforming motorcycle armed with dozens of missiles and a blaster rifle... So saying these pilots have a blaster carbine under the seat of their fighter isnt really going to the outside of the genre here :)
Yeah, by "stored", I do mean somewhere on the ejection seat or the fighter's storage compartment, not in a cupboard over the sink or in their footlocker back in their barracks. Think of it as "emergency long-arm in case you're shot down/go extra-vehicular in or near enemy territory."

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley
As for security forces with lethal weapons, it depends on whether its an Empire I suppose. Star Wars' sec forces would all have lethal weapons with a stun option (make it an omni-blaster), Star Guild forces would skip even that, they would really rather shoot you. Babylon 5 (borderline space opera?) only had a lethal option too, and they where the good guys!
Yeah, I was thinking of all the blasters (with the exception of the LMG variant) being omni-blasters. This gives the security forces a lethal and a non-lethal option in one easy package.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
When Soldiers or Marines face each other they're goign to e heavily dependant on their grenade launchers. Blaster carbines will not penetrate the torsos of hardsuits or space armor unless you roll well and damage will be marginal too.

Blaster rifles are only slightly better, averaging only 1 pt. Even the Heavy Blaster will only average 8. That'a about half the effect of a M-16 v. an unarmored target.

I know you're specifying Space Opera which tends to mean "This is The Futuire! We shoot Energy Beams at each other now!" but UT does not support that very well. If I was arming TL11 forces for a fight against armored units I'm afraid I'd have to take something like the Gauss CAW with HEMP.
Note, though, that I do specify that these are the major powers, which are not yet at war with each other (although a war between United Earth and a group with a mutual-protection pact is brewing). The soldiers and space marines are more likely to be facing less-armored mercenaries with clamshell armors at best, not fully-sealed combat hardsuits.

Plus, my PCs are to be pirates; the army and marine corps are the enemy! This means the PCs will have some choices of their own to make as far as armament (and illegal upgrades to weapons, one of which increases the armor divisor) for defeating the armor. O}:]

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Plus, my PCs are to be pirates;
Well, my ideal Space Pirate has a pair of Gauss Shotgun Pisttols with a semi-flintlock style to them thrust through his belt and loaded with Plasma Lance rounds from the UT Designer's Notes. 20D(5), good for armored or unarmored. That's something to smile about. :)

He might have a Hyperdense Vibro cutlass too. Not nearly as bulky as a broadsword. Maybe even a Long Knife version. :)

He might wear a Cybersuit for vacuum protection and decent armor or he might depend on Dodge boosting Cyber and Bio-ware. You can get some impressive results from that at TL11.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 AM   #24
jacobmuller

One way to encourage melee is lowering the Shots per weapon, eg make the pistols all use 1 to 3 B cells for 13, 8 & 10 shots.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #25
RogerBW

Don't overlook the humble cufftape (Ultra-Tech p.107). Half a pound for fifty pairs of ST20 handcuffs? I'm sold, even without the razortape option.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #26
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Okay, here's the new loadout listings:

Station Security Officer
Blaster Pistol or Heavy Blaster Pistol
Electric Stun Baton
Monocrys Vest or Jacket
Radio Communicator, Small
Handcuffs
Couple of ideas, albeit perhaps more for police than Space Opera:

Perhaps an armored kilt to protect various useful bits not covered by your vest.

Some rig on the electric stun baton that leaves a long-term trace on a suspect's hide - a la the dye marker in pepper sprays & Mace.

Flashlight AND night vision gear (for when shining a light is a bad idea.) A modern police officer, I've heard, will go through far more "C" cells (flashlight batteries) than rounds of ammunition. Station security will need to patrol or inspect odd areas of the station & lighting may be a problem.

Some sort of short-range bioscanner or multiscanner -- relatively cheap and useful for detecting hiding criminals, contraband, etc.

The comlink (radio communicator, small) should have a secure link to the station's computers to allow for transfer of sensitive data . . . "Well, Mr. Jack, according to the biorecords of our files back at HQ your real name is Arglebargle Redd, and you're wanted for shoplifting, piracy, and general mopery."

A permanently-on 2 or 3-D video recorder, a la the videocams of a 2011 police car. Probably clipped to the security officer's shoulder. By the Space Opera era these should be light, small, and cheap enough that every security officer will have one. The video unit will not have an off switch, be ruggedized, and have a continual feed to HQ. Too useful to leave alone -- it will show the Higher-Ups at base what killed the redshirt, or at least leave intriguing hints thereof.

Maybe some form of Soothe-gas grenade, for defusing riots. If the crowd wants to lynch the hapless Offendi peddler who wandered into the wrong sector of the station, throw a Soothe-grenade into it and watch them sit and smile. A lot.

Oh -- and to help pay for all this gadgetry put an ad-broadcaster on the uniform shirt.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
load-outs, loadouts, space marines, space opera