Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
Phex

Default How to create a loadout gdf?

What is the best way to create equipment loadouts in GCA in a gdf file?

My approach is using equipment items, which add certain other equipment. A basic example is shown below.

Code:
[EQUIPMENT]
<Loadouts>
"Loadout A", basecost(100), baseweight(1), description(...),
adds(_
		{EQ:Personal Basics},
		{EQ:Rations}=12_
)
However, in this case the user has to manually delete the "Loadouts A" item, since it wastes space and also adds to the cost and weight. Is there a possibility to make the loadout remove its own entry after adding the other items?

Thanks!
Phex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Dammann

Default Re: How to create a loadout gdf?

Specify basecost and baseweight as (0) to avoid doubling up on the cost and weight. I think you can add displaycost and displayweight to the line to show what the total weight and cost will be, for menu selection purposes. I don't think there is a way to get the template to delete itself after it is added.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Things are as Dammann said. Those suggestions will help. You could also put the loadouts in the Templates section, so they're not cluttering up equipment listings. But there's currently no way to have them remove themselves. I'll add that to the suggestion list.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Phex

Setting basecost to zero and displaycost to the desired cost was also my workaround.

Thanks for considering automatic deletition as a future feature. Instead of deleting, it would maybe be enough if the loadout items were simply shaded or shown in brackets or whatever to identify them. Naturally, the best option would be to have a loadouts slide like for templates.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Oh, I forgot another thing: if you include the tag hide(yes) in your loadout item, it will hide that item from display in GCA, and on most sheets, unless the user specifically requests to see the hidden items. It's not deleted, just hidden, but may do what you are after.

Just be sure not to use hides(), that extra 's' is important, as that tells GCA to hide all the component items (the stuff that GCA adds from the loadout), which you certainly don't want.

Armin
Old 03-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
flyingwombat

I created equipment, that is loadout templates for my games. Great for creating PCs who have similar sets of gear. Speeds up creation time.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Phex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Oh, I forgot another thing: if you include the tag hide(yes) in your loadout item, it will hide that item from display in GCA, and on most sheets, unless the user specifically requests to see the hidden items. It's not deleted, just hidden, but may do what you are after.
Thats perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
I created equipment, that is loadout templates for my games. Great for creating PCs who have similar sets of gear. Speeds up creation time.
Can you post a minimal code example of such a template? It may also help others who try to do the same thing.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
flyingwombat

I just realized I misspoke in my early post.
What I did was create equipment list templates. They don't have options to delete a given item.
Still, they might be of some use to you. They can be found in the GCA archive.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
I just realized I misspoke in my early post.
What I did was create equipment list templates. They don't have options to delete a given item.
Still, they might be of some use to you. They can be found in the GCA archive.
I believe this is the related page on the repository: http://www.motoslave.net/gcarepo/browse.php?userid=106. Probably the first item on the list.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
flyingwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I believe this is the related page on the repository: http://www.motoslave.net/gcarepo/browse.php?userid=106. Probably the first item on the list.
Yeah, I forgot to mentioned I submitted it.

Tags
gca, gdf, loadouts