Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Dalin

Default Traps and crippling

Scenario: A character with 16 basic HP sets off a trap that has four blades striking his hand for 1d cutting damage each. He wears DR 1 gloves.

Following the crippling rules on Exploits, p. 61, the minimum injury to cripple his hand from a single wound is 6 (16/3, rounding down). Taking into account his DR 1 and the 1.5 wounding modifier for cutting, he'll receive a crippling injury on a roll of 5 or 6 for any one of the four blades (5-1 = 4x1.5 = 6). Indeed, since that is the maximum damage that he could take from an attack, a roll of six wouldn't be any worse than a roll of 5.

As it turned out, I rolled 4, 4, 4, and 3, doing a total of 15 points of injury after adjusting for DR and cutting. His hand was not crippled, but because he was already reeling from prior injuries, this put him near collapse (at -11 HP). No single blade did more than HP/2, so none of these counted as a major wound.

Is this correct by RAW? This is how we ran it, and it went fine, but it did feel a bit strange that he could lose so many HP from his hand.

If the first injury had crippled the hand, would the following blades have continued to cause additional injury? I assume yes. (The injury cutoff is just for single attacks that exceed the minimum crippling threshold.)

Would it be reasonable to consider all four blades as a single attack? If I were to run the scenario again, I might do this but count the DR for each, making it 4d-4. This would increase the odds of crippling (≈90% chance of rolling 10 or more basic damage), and give an appreciable chance for dismemberment (≈34% chance of rolling 16 or more basic damage). On the flip side, the trap would do no more than 6 injury total.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Traps and crippling

I approve. It's mean and just the thing to do for traps when your players laugh off that non-crippling injury.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Dalillama

It's a pretty garbage blade trap if it won't mangle the hand of someone foolish enough to reach into it, IMO.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Anthony

The main reason cumulative damage to a location doesn't count for crippling is because it would require you to track damage by location.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #5
DocRailgun

He didn't lose the HP from his hand. He lost HP from his total. The blades just happened to hit his hand. HPs aren't tracked by location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post

Is this correct by RAW? This is how we ran it, and it went fine, but it did feel a bit strange that he could lose so many HP from his hand.
DocRailgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The main reason cumulative damage to a location doesn't count for crippling is because it would require you to track damage by location.
However, in this specific case the location is known, (all four blades hit his hand at in one "attack") and using the damage total for crippling purposes would be fine.

Taken to extremes, if there were 100 blades doing 1d-2 (blender trap) by RAW the fighter dies. If you use the damage total not RAW approach above, he instead, and more realistically, just loses the hand.

GM judgement is a thing to be encouraged.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
Bruno

If you add them together into one attack, it makes it easier to cripple but it won't kill because damage above the crippling threshold is lost.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
If you add them together into one attack, it makes it easier to cripple but it won't kill because damage above the crippling threshold is lost.
Which is a better result normally.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Would it be reasonable to consider all four blades as a single attack? If I were to run the scenario again, I might do this but count the DR for each, making it 4d-4. This would increase the odds of crippling (≈90% chance of rolling 10 or more basic damage), and give an appreciable chance for dismemberment (≈34% chance of rolling 16 or more basic damage). On the flip side, the trap would do no more than 6 injury total.
That strikes me as a great solution. To my mind this is an excellent example of a situation in which it's more fun to have fiction trump the rules (or at least have the fiction encourage the GM to interpret the rules in a flexible manner). If you stick your hand in a blender-like blade trap, and it turns out to be very nasty (i.e. it rolls up a ton of damage), then the effect is going to be to cripple your hand.

Counting all four blades as one attack, but counting the DR four times, seems like a good way to model this mechanically.

Now different people have different play styles; this may not work for some. That's cool. Your solution certainly appeals to me, though.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
Dalin

Thanks, all, for your feedback. Next time the swashbuckler impulsively sticks his hand in a blender, he'd best hope it's his off-hand. ;)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote