Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
Lyonid

Default Altered Time Rate and Enhanced Time Sense

Good morning everybody.
As usually, I wonder about some specific uses of Advantages.
Say, my PC has both Altered Time Rate 1 and ETS. Shouldn't he have more advantages than those stated in Basic Set, expecially in combat?
For example, if my PC percives the world in slowmotion, why doesn't he get a bonus on ranged shot's rolls? And again, if he actually moves two times faster than a common man, shouldn't active defenses against his melee attack get a penalty?
Maybe I am simply missing something, but I think it is better to ask:)
As always, thank you all in advance.
Lyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Tyneras

Default Re: Altered Time Rate and Enhanced Time Sense

ETS and ATR would justify bonuses to stuff like that, but you would have to pay for them. You don't get them for free.

Edit: I use ART to justify things like really high extra Striking ST, since I'm moving faster I'm also hitting harder (more kinetic energy), but I still have to pay the normal cost for the extra Striking ST. But at the same time, I can also get a (small) discount since if anything kills my ATR power, I lose the Striking ST as well.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonid View Post
Good morning everybody.
As usually, I wonder about some specific uses of Advantages.
Say, my PC has both Altered Time Rate 1 and ETS. Shouldn't he have more advantages than those stated in Basic Set, expecially in combat?
For example, if my PC percives the world in slowmotion, why doesn't he get a bonus on ranged shot's rolls? And again, if he actually moves two times faster than a common man, shouldn't active defenses against his melee attack get a penalty?
Maybe I am simply missing something, but I think it is better to ask:)
As always, thank you all in advance.
You get what you pay for, and super speed is piece by piece.

But....

You can Dodge better: Take a normal maneuver then an All Out Defense for the extra maneuver given by ATR, or buy some Enhanced Dodge.

You can deal with penalties better, you Aim twice as fast!

(The problem people have understanding ATR is the amount of fluff text obscuring the game effects. But it really has to be that way, as there are a minority of players that want the Basic Set to read like a technical manual. Read ATR as "Extra Maneuver" because that is it's whole game effect (Unmodified).)

Simulate hard to defend speed with something like a technique / power-up I cam up with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Same cost as a Custom Technique for the purpose at [5] (Well, it's [6] if you also need a Unique Technique Perk)

Custom Technique: Opponent's Defenses; Dodge -1 Penalty (-2 to default), Parry -1 Penalty (-1 to default), Block -1 Penalty (-1 to default)

Deceptive Technique, Defaults to Skill (-4 x Defense penalty)
You'd never default of course, you would just use deceptive attack. It's one of those techniques only worth using if you've improved it.

A wild card version would be [12] per point of Defense Penalty, so not too far off... the Technique makes a nice round Power Up for -2 to defenses!

Unpredictable Attacker
25 Points

Your style of fighting keeps your opponents guessing! Any Active Defense against your attacks suffer a -2 penalty.
Perks: Unique Technique (Deceptive Technique) [1]
Technique: Deceptive Technique! (H) Skill+0 [24]
Just rename it to "Blinding Speed" or something.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post

(The problem people have understanding ATR is the amount of fluff text obscuring the game effects. But it really has to be that way, as there are a minority of players that want the Basic Set to read like a technical manual. Read ATR as "Extra Maneuver" because that is it's whole game effect (Unmodified).)
I disagree, both in the particular, and in the concept that some parts of the text fall into a category of ignorable 'fluff'.

Regarding ATR, the rule is very clear that it affects you in ways other than combat. These are not 'fluff' -- the incremental value of higher levels are defined in this part. The fact that it defines effects for combat doesn't mean other parts disappear from the text.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've built a set of 'powers' based around moving quickly.

You can have atr, or +5 to dodge (ok, speed, but we know what we use it for ), or +5 dx (giving +2 to dodge), or a combination of those bonus. Favorites include +4 dx +1 dodge (total +3) and + 2 dx +3 dodge (total + 4).

I also usually allow .5 atr with that power set, but that requires house rules (which aren't that complicated)

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonid View Post
He does, if you choose your paired Maneuvers to get those benefits.
  • Aim before ranged Attacks
  • All-Out Attack for +4, applied as Deceptive Attack for -2 to defenses. Follow this with a normal Attack to keep full defenses for yourself, or even All-Out Defend!

Tags
advantages, altered time rate, combat, enhanced time sense, modifiers