Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #201
Shadekeep

Default Re: TFT Map Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMod View Post
If you could do the ones I posted, I would be a very happy bunny! For me, that would complete the mapmaker.
The center-hex line is in there. The quarter-hex pieces you posted are interesting, but probably better served by a point-to-point line instead. This would have more flexibility in being used for various map designs. I will likely have to include endcap pieces for that too, since otherwise it will terminate with pointed ends.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #202
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
The center-hex line is in there. The quarter-hex pieces you posted are interesting, but probably better served by a point-to-point line instead. This would have more flexibility in being used for various map designs. I will likely have to include endcap pieces for that too, since otherwise it will terminate with pointed ends.
Yeah, I'm not saying don't do a point to point line, just that it won't help me or anyone hoping to make maps like the one I did... :/
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #203
Shadekeep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not saying don't do a point to point line, just that it won't help me or anyone hoping to make maps like the one I did... :/
I've added it but not released it yet. Want to finish a few more things in the underlying code. I'm greatly simplifying some stuff.

In hindsight I could have added a lot more requested design elements if I had coded things differently. For example, instead of rendering each hex as a discrete element, I could have used them as anchor points for larger elements. But I started from a premise of "each hex unto itself", and that's how it is now. ^_^
Old 07-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #204
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
In hindsight ... <coder regrets>
:) Been there.

Tyvm for considering my request btw.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #205
tomc

Quote:
:) Been there.

Tyvm for considering my request btw.
Each design decision facilitates some possibilities and eliminates others. Making these decisions allow us to make progress and eventually finish a project.

Trying to anticipate every request and allow for every possibility leads to the Universal Program, that is all things to all people. Or it would be if it was ever finished. ;)

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #206
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
Each design decision facilitates some possibilities and eliminates others. Making these decisions allow us to make progress and eventually finish a project.

Trying to anticipate every request and allow for every possibility leads to the Universal Program, that is all things to all people. Or it would be if it was ever finished. ;)
Very well stated. ^_^
Old 07-26-2019, 03:23 AM   #207
wizzelvard

Nothing short of a masterpiece! Thanks very much indeed.
wizzelvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #208
Shadekeep

Shamat 1.5 released
  • New Component: Slice - Adds a one-sixth hex triangular slice element.
  • New Features: Axons & Axon - Adds mid-hex line and junction elements.
  • Bug Fix: Line Tool - Was incorrectly drawing some sloped lines in Horizontal grain. This is now fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzelvard View Post
Nothing short of a masterpiece! Thanks very much indeed.
Thanks, I really appreciate it!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 PM   #209
kenfoote

I'm curious whether you would mind if I made a web app that imported your .skmr format to create printable vector map pdfs? Obviously, raster printing is already a feature of Shamat, but vector files would be much smaller and would always print sharply at tabletop dimensions. My motivation is that I'm attempting (slowly) to create a virtual 3D tabletop for TFT: http://hexseen.com/mapdemo I obviously haven't gotten very far yet, but it will require a map creation tool. I could be redundant and create something of my own, but you've done an excellent job, and I'd like to simply import Shamat maps. Now that I think about it, I guess I'm inquiring for two uses: pdf maps and playable maps in a virtual 3D tabletop. I have a two-year degree in web development, but I never got a career in it started, so I'm a hobbyist. Right now, I'm using Babylon.js with Node.js for Hexseen, and I'll probably continue down that path.
kenfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #210
Condutiarii

Hello Shadekeep,

I modified your generator to take into account an SVG image rather than a Canvas plot to draw a terrain hex on the map. The advantage is that by using an SVG image, you can modify the appearance of each of the terrain as you wish without heavily modifying the code. And for someone who downloads and launches it locally, it allows him to change the appearance of the map at his convenience.

I did it on a personal and experimental basis, maybe you would be interested in such a feature?

Sincerely
Condutiarii is offline   Reply With Quote