Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Jachra

Default [Magic] Questions about Enchanting

Mostly this comes down to energy from spells -
  1. While I imagine that Lend Energy isn't acceptable (though it can help you in the recharge after), can someone use Share Energy even if they lack Enchant or the spell in question?
  2. Can Steal Power or Draw Power be used to supply FP for an enchantment?

I figure the answer to both of these is "No" but I'm having trouble finding direct references.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [Magic] Questions about Enchanting

They could for Q&D Enchantment, not Slow and Sure.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:33 AM   #3
Plane

I think the rule is usually that to use an enchanted item with a spell that has magery as a prereq that you must be a mage?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think the rule is usually that to use an enchanted item with a spell that has magery as a prereq that you must be a mage?
My reading of the question was another mage using Share Energy to aid the enchanting mage or the enchanter using a Draw Power type spell to provide extra energy,
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jachra View Post
[LIST=1][*]While I imagine that Lend Energy isn't acceptable (though it can help you in the recharge after), can someone use Share Energy even if they lack Enchant or the spell in question?
Should be possible in a Q&D, but unless you can cast it from 11+ hexes away you'll be giving the caster a -1 skill.
Quote:
[*]Can Steal Power or Draw Power be used to supply FP for an enchantment?
Steal power is like lend energy, only useful for recovering. Draw Power works but is quite challenging to actually use in enchantment because of the -1fp/minute (not reduced by skill) on a spell with a minimum casting time of an hour.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-15-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
That is not at all accurate.

The only time a magic item requires one be a mage is if the spell being enchanted says "Usable only by mages" in the 'Item' description.

For example from Wall of Wind:

Item
Staff, wand, or jewelry. Usable only by mages. Cost to create: 400 energy and a $500 onyx.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
unless you can cast {Share Energy} from 11+ hexes away
The spell description says that it can only be cast on self (so no range penalty), and doesn't seem to include any range limit or penalty for the mage specified to be able to draw on the shared energy.

It's a Regular spell, so it seems reasonable to houserule the range penalty to be that to the recipient rather than the caster.

Lowering the transfer efficiency seems like it'd rapidly render the spell useless. Or I suppose a group could decide that it's okay to Share Energy with mages on the other side of the planet, assuming they have some way to coordinate their casting down to the second, because that's just the way the mana field works.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The spell description says that it can only be cast on self (so no range penalty), and doesn't seem to include any range limit or penalty for the mage specified to be able to draw on the shared energy.

It's a Regular spell, so it seems reasonable to houserule the range penalty to be that to the recipient rather than the caster.
Share Energy doesn't hint at the caster suffering any kind of penality on the range between them and the recipient.

There are two things making Share Energy not that useful for enchantment purposes. The first is that for a Quick & Dirty enchantment the entire amount of Energy is spent in one burst at the end of the process when the GM rolls for success. This means a mage wishing to contribute via Share Energy has to cast it at that point in time. The second is that a spell can only be assisted by a single cast of Share Energy, which is capped at lending 5 FP.

Slow and Sure enchantments don't spend FP on the process so Share Energy does even less here.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
  1. [
  2. Can Steal Power or Draw Power be used to supply FP for an enchantment?

I figure the answer to both of these is "No" but I'm having trouble finding direct references.
Just to be absolutely unamiguous you _can_ use Draw Power as part of a Q&D Enchantment process.

They do it all the time in the "Merlin" worlds of the Infinte Worlds setting. See Gurps Technomancer (a 3e book still available as a pdf) for an extended example.

I've never seen Steal Power used at all, probably due to beign limited to settings with cinematic energy storage tech. That is TL9+ and probably TL9^+. You can do Draw Power starting around TL6.