Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #121
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
This is what I can say:
However, neither the President not the Senate can get rid of existing Supreme Court judges. They hold their positions until they retire, resign, are impeached or die. They are rather difficult to corrupt, and interfering with them by means of highly advanced technology, memetics, etc., basically amounts to pleading guilty to all the charges that will get thrown at you.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #122
AlexanderHowl

Quote:
How are they supposed to block it from the ballot?
They make the rules for getting on the ballots. Every state legislature has the authority in the USA to establish their own electoral process. As long as it does not racial discriminate, the federal government does not get involved unless there is evidence of cheating and/or corruption.

As for Supreme Court, they are the final arbiters of law in the USA. Speaking as a Constitutional scholar, the Supreme Court would dismantle every unconstitutional law that was passed by Genesis. In addition, the federal bureaucracy would like act against an illegitimate party that bribed its way to victory, up to and including the US military engaging in a coup against the Genesis Party.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #123
Donny Brook

Quote:
Not at all. They will just put down the Federal Trade Commission Act of 1914 and the Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914 to start with.
It looks like you replied to the wrong post here.

(FYI if you click the little blue arrow beside the name in a quote, it brings you back to the post replied to.)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #124
Celjabba

Quote:
Winning the lawsuit for monopolistic practices is a good start. Change a few laws here and there so Genesis do not have to do step-by-step manuals about its products as well.
I said it above, I suggest you check Shadowrun background books. The Corporate Shadowfiles sourcebook, iirc, deal with how megacorp got and kept sovereignty in that specific universe. Mutatis mutandis, it should get you lots of idea. Replace millenia old elfs by your superwoman, magic by TL11 biotech and AI by AI and there we are.
But attempts to keep our current world unchanged except for a TL11 sovereign megacorp surging fully formed from nowhere stretch plausibility beyond what most will accept.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #125
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
The only real exception to that rule is a senior member of the corporate hierarchy taking his personal fortune and spending it to run, which is completely legal. But it has to actually be her money that she has paid taxes on and could use for something else. Any compensation by the corporation would be highly illegal.
Okey thatīs perfect. It will not be a problem since the founders receive vast compensations and they could always sell some shares if somehow they run short of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Finally, since the goal of the corporation is to buy off the US government so as to get the anti-trust laws changed so it can merge with multiple other corporations and become large enough to buy off the US government, it looks like the proposed method for solving the problem requires that the problem be solved first.
Let them "act on their own" without merging until after they have bought off the government.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #126
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
... interfering with them by means of highly advanced technology, memetics, etc., basically amounts to pleading guilty to all the charges that will get thrown at you.
When guilty: do it anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
However, neither the President not the Senate can get rid of existing Supreme Court judges. They hold their positions until they retire, resign, are impeached or die.
Sounds like fair game, sometimes accidents happen.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #127
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Obviously there has to be a way for a party to emerge with the possibility of winning the elections. Otherwise, we would be talking about a dictatorial system and not a presidential republic. In any case, it is not unconstitutional.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #128
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I said it above, I suggest you check Shadowrun background books. The Corporate Shadowfiles sourcebook, iirc, deal with how megacorp got and kept sovereignty in that specific universe. Mutatis mutandis, it should get you lots of idea. Replace millenia old elfs by your superwoman, magic by TL11 biotech and AI by AI and there we are.
But attempts to keep our current world unchanged except for a TL11 sovereign megacorp surging fully formed from nowhere stretch plausibility beyond what most will accept.
Unfortunately I havent got those books :(
Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #129
Donny Brook

Quote:

Tasks:

1. Comment on the implausibility of the organization itself.
My final response: Insurmountable.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #130
Icelander

Quote:
Tasks:

1. Comment on the implausibility of the organization itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
My final response: Insurmountable.
The implausibility seems to be about a deca-Batman, which as everyone knows is roughly two HYDRAs.

Hail Hydra!