Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
Jeminai

Default D&D Schools and GURPS Magic

I have an idea for a situation where the spells in my game world were categorized in a different way in another part of my world.

As an example, I play a lot of Forgotten Realms in the GURPS setting and I use the standard GURPS Magic rules for my book wizards. The Wizards of Thay however use the D&D schools of magic as the core of the motif of the entire society with the greatest of each of these schools being the leaders of their society. I want to keep this feel.

Does anyone know if someone has categorized the GURPS Magic spells into the D&D schools, and if so where that list may be? I could do this myself, but I figured I would check to see if someone else has done it first.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
GodBeastX

Default Re: D&D Schools and GURPS Magic

None I could find. I'd be interested in this exercise though, considering I run a game set in Pathfinder's world. It never came up since just assuming the universe used GURPS' classification was easier, but that doesn't mean I would ignore the effort!

I'd also like to see what D20 spells are lacking in GURPS in a spell by spell cross over.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

I do not think that many of the middle or higher levels spells can translate over very well because they are overpowered for GURPS.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do not think that many of the middle or higher levels spells can translate over very well because they are overpowered for GURPS.
I don't think he wants to use D&D spells with GURPS. It seems like he wants to use GURPS spells sorted into D&D schools instead of into GURPS colleges.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
I don't think he wants to use D&D spells with GURPS. It seems like he wants to use GURPS spells sorted into D&D schools instead of into GURPS colleges.
Exactly.

For instance, this is the descriptions of the different schools in D&D along with their descriptions:

Abjuration spells are protective in nature, though some of them have aggressive uses. They create magical barriers, negate harmful effects, harm trespassers, or banish creatures to other planes of existence.

Conjuration spells involve the transportation of objects and creatures from one location to another. Some spells summon creatures or objects to the caster’s side, whereas others allow the caster to teleport to another location. Some conjurations create objects or effects out of nothing.

Divination spells reveal information, whether in the form of secrets long forgotten, glimpses of the future, the locations of hidden things, the truth behind illusions, or visions of distant people or places.
Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior. Such spells can make enemies see the caster as a friend, force creatures to take a course of action, or even control another creature like a puppet.

Evocation spells manipulate magical energy to produce a desired effect. Some call up blasts of fire or lightning. Others channel positive energy to heal wounds.

Illusion spells deceive the senses or minds of others. They cause people to see things that are not there, to miss things that are there, to hear phantom noises, or to remember things that never happened. Some illusions create phantom images that any creature can see, but the most insidious illusions plant an image directly in the mind of a creature.

Necromancy spells manipulate the energies of life and death. Such spells can grant an extra reserve of life force, drain the life energy from another creature, create the undead, or even bring the dead back to life.
Creating the undead through the use of necromancy spells such as animate dead is not a good act, and only evil casters use such spells frequently.

Transmutation spells change the properties of a creature, object, or environment. They might turn an enemy into a harmless creature, bolster the strength of an ally, make an object move at the caster’s command, or enhance a creature’s innate healing abilities to rapidly recover from injury.

Spell from GURPS Magic like Create Warrior would fall into Conjuration. Turn Spirit would fall under Necromancy. Utter Dome would fall under Abjuration.

And so on.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
lvalero

This is supplent I would pay for :) I mean, I don't need every single D&D spell converted to Gurps but it would be nice to see the classic gurps spells arranged by the old-school D&D collegues

There are some blogs that have created D&D spells in the "Sorcery" framework. One of the most interesting (and most active) is

https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com.es/
Old 02-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post

Conjuration spells involve the transportation of objects and creatures from one location to another. Some spells summon creatures or objects to the caster’s side, whereas others allow the caster to teleport to another location. Some conjurations create objects or effects out of nothing.

Evocation spells manipulate magical energy to produce a desired effect. Some call up blasts of fire or lightning. Others channel positive energy to heal wounds.
Fun fact:
In d&d 3e healing spells were Conjuration.
In d&d 5e they are Evocation spells.

Resurrection and Raise dead were also Conjuration in 3e. While in 5e they are now both Necromancy.

I actually prefer the 5e classifications, but just to say, even before you begin on such a conversion job, you have to determine what source material to go for... or which you prefer.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #8
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Fun fact:
In d&d 3e healing spells were Conjuration.
In d&d 5e they are Evocation spells.

Resurrection and Raise dead were also Conjuration in 3e. While in 5e they are now both Necromancy.

I actually prefer the 5e classifications, but just to say, even before you begin on such a conversion job, you have to determine what source material to go for... or which you prefer.
In 1e and 2e (or maybe just one of those), they were in Necromancy, as I recall.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
SteamBub

Woundn't Magical Styles be the book that can help convert the schools from D&D?
SteamBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I tend to agree with this. I will likely go with 5e for source material