Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
chandley

Default [Martial Arts] Can I use Push Kick with Push

Basically.

It is a push with a leg, at Brawling or Karate-3. I feel that Push is basically another "martial art" skill, with its only basic attack being a Shove. So Im tempted to say "yep, you can Push Kick at Push-2 (for being a kick)".

Then I thought: What if I have the Kicking (Karate)+2 technique? Is Push Kick at -1 then? Seems like not (it is a separate technique from Kicking and doesnt default to Kicking), but why so?

Why Push Kick with Push? +1 damage and reach, basically. Potentially +2 damage with heavy boots, or +1 damage and +1 per die damage with hooves, etc. Or does NONE of that apply? I would figure reach would, at the very least.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Can I use Push Kick with Push

Martial Arts pg. 59 specifically states that you can substitute Push for ST when using Shoves, Sweeps, Trips, and, yes Push Kick. You'd still need to roll against your regular Karate based Push Kick.

As a house rule, I'd allow someone to buy Skill Adaptation (Push Kick Defaults to Push) in order to get the regular -2 DX +2 ST effect of using legs instead of arms--keep in mind, though that Push is based on Swing, so you'd be getting +2 damage (applied only to Knockback). You could then improve Push Kick (Push), but that of course wouldn't help you do a Karate based Push Kick. I don't think Boots, Claws, etc... would apply to Push, however.

As for the question, "why doesn't Kicking improve other kicking techniques?" they tried that in 3e, and it made Kicking too good a deal. In 4e, techniques can't default from other techniques.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
chandley

Default Re: [Martial Arts] Can I use Push Kick with Push

Ah thank you Aesir23, I flew right past the Push skill description in MA.

And the rest of your reasoning is sound, even if the munchkin in me wants Kicking-The-Uber-Technique.