Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
hollybargle

Default Using Telekinesis for skills

Hello SJforums!

New GURPS player here, interested in playing a 'psionic rogue' type character, using his telekentic abilities in order to help him with various heists.

I have a few questions in regards to this. (I would be using the rules from Psionic Powers)
  • The basic set states that I get a +4 bonus to anything that would use High Manual Dexterity. Is this only after I make my skill roll for telekinesis?
  • Which actual skill would I use? If I wanted to unlock a door, would I roll against my Telekinetic Control, or lockpicking?
  • If I use my lockpicking skill instead, would this then default to a IQ based roll as opposed to a DX one?
  • For the previous example, would I still need a lockipicking kit? Or would it be instead directly manipulating the tumblers, ect.?
  • Are the rules any different if range is included? Would I get a penalty for distance for trying to unlock a door from a distance, or maybe even a penalty for working without a sense of touch?
  • If I am concentrating on holding something with my mind, can I make a move action that turn as well? For example, can I hold a table in front of me as cover and charge forward, towards the enemy at the same time?

Thank you for your time!
hollybargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Using Telekinesis for skills

All skill bonuses are applied at the time you make your roll.

Use your Lockpicking skill, as that is the task at hand.

Lockpicking is IQ by default, actually.

No kit, unless you want to use a Fine set of tools for more bonuses.

Telekinesis has a relatively short range, and doesn't say it has penalties within that range.

Unless your Telekinesis is All-Out, you can take Move actions while using it. Floating shields are fun!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
hollybargle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post

Lockpicking is IQ by default, actually.
Haha, derped a bit there! Okay then, say I was going to pick-pocket someone from a distance. Would I instead use IQ as a base in that case?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybargle View Post
Haha, derped a bit there! Okay then, say I was going to pick-pocket someone from a distance. Would I instead use IQ as a base in that case?
The only time Telekinesis relies on IQ for otherwise non-IQ actions is if it has the Psi modifier. Without it, you use whatever a skill normally uses. You just get a 10 yard range, and the benefit of being an Invisible Attacker.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
hollybargle

Okay, I think I understand.

So, if Telekinesis is a psionic ability, meaning it has the -10% Psionic modifier, I can substitute any DX based roll with an IQ one, provided it is being manipulated by my psionic powers?

Would this also continue on to ST or HT rolls? For example, could I use IQ for jumping or lifting?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Okay, I think I understand.

So, if Telekinesis is a psionic ability, meaning it has the -10% Psionic modifier, I can substitute any DX based roll with an IQ one, provided it is being manipulated by my psionic powers?

Would this also continue on to ST or HT rolls? For example, could I use IQ for jumping or lifting?
You wouldn't use TK to jump; you could either lift or throw yourself. As for lifting, that's still based on your TK level. No ST roll involved, but the Lifting skill helps you lift heavy things faster.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
  • The basic set states that I get a +4 bonus to anything that would use High Manual Dexterity. Is this only after I make my skill roll for telekinesis?
Yes, after you make your roll to activate and use your ability.

Quote:
  • Which actual skill would I use? If I wanted to unlock a door, would I roll against my Telekinetic Control, or lockpicking?
Lockpicking.

Quote:
  • If I use my lockpicking skill instead, would this then default to a IQ based roll as opposed to a DX one?
Lockpicking is already IQ-based. :-)

Quote:
  • For the previous example, would I still need a lockipicking kit? Or would it be instead directly manipulating the tumblers, ect.?
Hmm. No, but you'd take the penalty for lack of equipment and another penalty if you can't see the lock itself (though you could use the Work by Touch technique). A perk would let you ignore the equipment penalty altogether - so if you're going to be doing this often it might be worth it.

Quote:
  • Are the rules any different if range is included? Would I get a penalty for distance for trying to unlock a door from a distance, or maybe even a penalty for working without a sense of touch?
You'd still need to be able to see the lock clearly or suffer a -5 penalty (as per Work by Touch), but you couldn't use your TK if you couldn't see it anyways.

Quote:
  • If I am concentrating on holding something with my mind, can I make a move action that turn as well? For example, can I hold a table in front of me as cover and charge forward, towards the enemy at the same time?
No, using TK requires a Concentrate maneuver which allows only a step.

Quote:
The only time Telekinesis relies on IQ for otherwise non-IQ actions is if it has the Psi modifier. Without it, you use whatever a skill normally uses.
You've said this before - this is not the case. Just because it's a psionic ability doesn't mean you get to substitute your IQ all the time. That requires either "Requires IQ Roll" (-10%) or "Based on IQ, Own Roll" (+20%).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
You wouldn't use TK to jump; you could either lift or throw yourself. As for lifting, that's still based on your TK level. No ST roll involved, but the Lifting skill helps you lift heavy things faster.
You theoretically could use TK to improve jumping, the same way Flight would (from Powers p163), although it might not often be useful or helpful to do so.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
hollybargle

Back again, still a bit confused on one aspect.

If I am using TK Grab from psionic powers, would I roll against my TK Grab skill if I was using it to grapple someone?

From Psionic Powers, p.54
Quote:
Roll against skill to use TK Grab, whenever picking something up, moving it, using it, etc. If you know an appropriate skill (e.g., Judo for grabbing someone, Brawling for “punching” someone, Flail for wielding a chain), you may substitute an IQ-based roll for that skill, if better.
This sounds like, to me, if I was attempting to grapple someone, and my TK skill was better than my IQ-based wrestling skill, then I would use TK Grab.

Would this also be true if I was throwing an object (eg. TK Grab vs. IQ Throwing)?

Or grabbing a gun with TK and shooting it? (TK Grab vs. IQ Gun)

I mean, I suppose this makes sense in a way. I'm not actually manipulating a body with arms and limbs, I'm using psionic force to achieve that. I'm not actually lining up the gun with my hand, I'm using my mind to achieve the correct aim.

It just seems like this might be open for exploitation. I would really only have to up skills in one thing, if I wanted to improve my offensive capabilities.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Back again, still a bit confused on one aspect.

If I am using TK Grab from psionic powers, would I roll against my TK Grab skill if I was using it to grapple someone?
Yes, unless your IQ-based Grappling skill (e.g., Wrestling) is better, then you can use that.

Quote:
Would this also be true if I was throwing an object (eg. TK Grab vs. IQ Throwing)?
Yes, if your IQ-based Throwing is better, use that.

Quote:
Or grabbing a gun with TK and shooting it? (TK Grab vs. IQ Gun)
Ditto.

Quote:
I mean, I suppose this makes sense in a way. I'm not actually manipulating a body with arms and limbs, I'm using psionic force to achieve that. I'm not actually lining up the gun with my hand, I'm using my mind to achieve the correct aim.
It's because Telekinesis has "Based on IQ, Own Roll" allows you to use the better of your IQ or the native based attribute.

Quote:
It just seems like this might be open for exploitation. I would really only have to up skills in one thing, if I wanted to improve my offensive capabilities.
That's sort of the idea yes. Improve a single skill and go from there.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionic powers, telekinesis