Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-14-2018, 06:41 AM   #31
DarkPumpkin

Default Re: TFT for Free RPG Day 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Which, if we want to capture attention, is exactly what would need to happen. There's no point in doing this if the project gets lost in the mix of other Free RPG Day items. You want to rise to the top and get the buzz.

If I were to do this, I would build it as:

* Two different boxed, stand-alone adventures, each aimed at a $19.95 MSRP. Adventure, limited rules, counters, one map, and dice in each.
* Kickstarter, with the reward of $20 delivering both boxed adventures the month after Free RPG Day.
* After Free RPG Day, the FRPGD boxed adventure would be offered direct by Steve Jackson Games at the $19.95 retail price point.
* Two months after FRPD, the second boxed adventure would be offered to distributors.

The goal would need to be about $50,000, so we would need to offer some other rewards (probably the Legacy Edition game, at full retail), because it is unlikely that there are 2,500 fans willing to drop $20/each to fund a FRPGD adventure.
Sounds like a plan! Question is would that be the best TFT Kickstarter to go with for 2019, while there are probably a bunch of other options to follow up the current KS with.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #32
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
Sounds like a plan! Question is would that be the best TFT Kickstarter to go with for 2019, while there are probably a bunch of other options to follow up the current KS with.
We're already working on the rough plans for an early 2019 Kickstarter project for The Fantasy Trip. A FRPGD project would not be a part of that.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #33
fisherro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
It looks like only one person - James Raggi. Both hardcovers were for Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and for mature gamers only. Since LotFP is Jim's DBA...
Yeah. Aramis is correct. Rather than people thinking other companies are phoning-it-in for not matching what Raggi puts out for FRPGD, people think he’s crazy for giving away so much. And even he has been somewhat less ambitious the last couple of years.

A decent quality softback booklet would be considered anyone’s A game. People aren’t expecting more than a preview. Goodman’s adventures, I think, are a good example of what I’d aim for if I were in your shoes.

And, IIRC, the “premiums” I got for backing that LotFP FRPGD item were all existing products that he’d probably already seen the bulk of the lifetime return on.
fisherro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #34
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherro View Post
A decent quality softback booklet would be considered anyone’s A game. People aren’t expecting more than a preview.
I'd rather create _the_ item for that year, than be simply part of the "and this happened" crowd. This would be a good shot at attracting serious attention to the game.

Having the "I need this" item in the FRPGD box would do far more for awareness than a 24-page booklet.

Still, this is a challenge for the future. Today: Work on the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #35
CardDiceian

Quote:
I'd rather create _the_ item for that year, than be simply part of the "and this happened" crowd. This would be a good shot at attracting serious attention to the game.
I've been playing about with an idea over the last few days, with a very small map - (6x2 megahex) - leaving enough room for basic info (Turn sequence / DX modifiers, etc - Very simple reference material for new players)

If it works as a playable sampler I'll send it over - If it comes across to me as a dead duck - I'll tuck it away in the bottom of my box and pretend it never happened.

Quote:
Still, this is a challenge for the future. Today: Work on the game.
Yes. I think a lot of us are getting over excited about the future possibilities - Excellent to stay focussed :)
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote