Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #21
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: TFT for Free RPG Day 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
A sheet of counters you cut out. A map. Mini-rules. Maybe a one-page tomb adventure, with another page showing how the scenario's (say) four rooms are laid out. Stats with the Boss monster.
That wouldn't quite work. We want anything we do to be incredible and attract attention. A box -- with a solo adventure, map, and die-cut counters -- is the minimum that we could do and make the project worth the effort.

Some publishers give out hardcovers and complete adventures. We have to bring our A+ work if we're going to do this.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
JLV

I really think this would be worth doing, would benefit both the community and SJG enormously, and would be something worth backing if you decided to Kickstart it, but, having said that, I want SJG to be sure it can be done well if it gets done at all.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #23
stefanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We have to bring our A+ work if we're going to do this.

That sounds amazingly ambitious and pricey. Might be the kind of thing to loose on a Free RPG day after there are a LOT of TFT products to lure people into buying!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #24
DarkPumpkin

If a TFT mini-box came out for Free RPG Day...let's just say you better manufacture a few more copies so that actual newcomers can get their hands on them and not just *ahem existing fans...
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 AM   #25
ak_aramis

Quote:
That wouldn't quite work. We want anything we do to be incredible and attract attention. A box -- with a solo adventure, map, and die-cut counters -- is the minimum that we could do and make the project worth the effort.

Some publishers give out hardcovers and complete adventures. We have to bring our A+ work if we're going to do this.
It looks like only one person - James Raggi. Both hardcovers were for Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and for mature gamers only. Since LotFP is Jim's DBA...

I've seen several "not quite complete rules" -

Flying Buffalo - Wizards and Fighters only, experience table caps at 5th, only about 1/3 of the equipment, and none of the optional rules nor elaborations, plus a short solo and a short GM'd adventure.

Catalyst: Cosmic Patrol - the rules of play are almost complete... no character gen, and only one page of fluff. 5 slightly condensed PC templates (only half the usual number of cues), 2 NPC templates and a single mini-campaign of 4 adventures, each about 1 sessions. (The core has about 20 pages of fluff, a dozen PC's, 20 NPCs, 8 short adventures, New template creation guidelines, and a bibliography.)

Catalyst: Shadowrun was a half-magazine (with another Catalyst RPG in the other half) - about 30pp.

Catalyst: Valliant Universe - same system as CosPat, different setting, similar QS content.

A boxed minigame - in a pocket box or ziplock, perhaps in the pocket box - would be a pretty high-demand item.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #26
JLV

Remember though, it's a free RPG thing, meaning that SJG has to eat the cost unless they DO decide on a KS to fund it. That kind of cost might be tough for SJGs to handle (though, obviously, I have no real idea what their cashflow situation might be like).

If they did KS it, I'd say the goal would have to be to pay for a minimum of 1 or 2 thousand free copies that they could hand out over the next few years, while supporters might get one copy -- so supporters would be paying anywhere from two to five times the production cost for their copy. I'd think if it were billed as "never to be produced again" or something along those lines, a bunch of us would back it just for the collectibility of the item, but there aren't any guarantees that it would even fund.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:25 AM   #27
DarkPumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Remember though, it's a free RPG thing, meaning that SJG has to eat the cost unless they DO decide on a KS to fund it. That kind of cost might be tough for SJGs to handle (though, obviously, I have no real idea what their cashflow situation might be like).
What about a KS (for another TFT project) where as an add-on, you could donate towards the Free RPG Day item? In reward you would get the PDF only, but it would be intended to fund production of the physical item.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:53 AM   #28
CardDiceian

Quote:

I have a very small GM'd adventure - (based in a wizards house) with about 8 rooms that could be adapted to solo. I wrote it as a very simple introduction for my son.

You could certainly do a nicely presented introductory package with full colour slip case rather than box - Easy to give away in goody bag at conventions, also easy and cheap to post.
1 small sheet of die cut counters - (2 colour, total of 8 -10 pieces) - Pre made characters complete with weapons, so you don't need to explain character design in the first instance. Map based on reduced melee map - (ie 2 rows of 3 megahex, which makes reasonable sized fighting ring or small room.)
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #29
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
A boxed minigame - in a pocket box or ziplock, perhaps in the pocket box - would be a pretty high-demand item.
Which, if we want to capture attention, is exactly what would need to happen. There's no point in doing this if the project gets lost in the mix of other Free RPG Day items. You want to rise to the top and get the buzz.

If I were to do this, I would build it as:

* Two different boxed, stand-alone adventures, each aimed at a $19.95 MSRP. Adventure, limited rules, counters, one map, and dice in each.
* Kickstarter, with the reward of $20 delivering both boxed adventures the month after Free RPG Day.
* After Free RPG Day, the FRPGD boxed adventure would be offered direct by Steve Jackson Games at the $19.95 retail price point.
* Two months after FRPD, the second boxed adventure would be offered to distributors.

The goal would need to be about $50,000, so we would need to offer some other rewards (probably the Legacy Edition game, at full retail), because it is unlikely that there are 2,500 fans willing to drop $20/each to fund a FRPGD adventure.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #30
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Which, if we want to capture attention, is exactly what would need to happen. There's no point in doing this if the project gets lost in the mix of other Free RPG Day items. You want to rise to the top and get the buzz.

If I were to do this, I would build it as:

* Two different boxed, stand-alone adventures, each aimed at a $19.95 MSRP. Adventure, limited rules, counters, one map, and dice in each. ...
Hi Phil,
I agree with all that you wrote above, except putting the dice in the box. For a free game, I can grab some of my own dice. (Unless they are so cheap you don't care.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote