Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #71
tshiggins

Default Re: Our group doesn't play by RAW and it's hard for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
As much as I'd enjoy exploiting the rulings or lack thereof, sadly it's just not in my nature. But I will likely just make simple characters from here on, not do anything special, take a backseat to the other characters, play more support.

I personally need to be less obsessive about things and stop worrying about it. That's a lifelong struggle for me.
I checked your profile, Wade, and don't see a location listed -- which is fine.
But, maybe you could use the Gamer Finder board (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41) to locate someone in your area who wants to run a game, or who is running a game, and who isn't a part of your current group?

I don't suggest that you simply abandon your current group and play with somebody else (although that's certainly an option), but maybe you can suggest your entire group try to play with some other folks, for awhile?

It could just be that your GM is stuck in a rut, or has never played in a campaign where things get done differently, and could benefit from widening his experience.

Alternatively, maybe spending time as players, together -- which is more a peer relationship -- rather than a GM and a player, might be a good thing?

Dunno, man. You're in a tough spot, right now, and something needs to shake up the situation -- hopefully not in an ugly way.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #72
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Our group doesn't play by RAW and it's hard for me.

"Why are we not using the rules we have paid for to be provided to us again? Are we bad at finances? I think we are bad at finances. Why can we not move on to our new system? Woe. Woe. Perhaps we could just learn them together cleanly for the next campaign and create new houserules, if needed, from that."

or
"Can we, like, stop with the half assed home brewing, and learn fourth edition together next time? I can't plan anything beyond the simplest of the simplest in this horoscope tier approach to the game. Let's learn proper structure first and THEN maybe think about breaking stuff"

or something along those lines.
Feel free to call the current approach retarded or something, too . I know that's frowned upon on the internet (but in this case it actually fits... in the literal sense ) and all that but it's okay with humans IRL.

Just call them all out on it. If they get too fragile over it, point out the fact that they bought the new editions for a reason and tell them that it's not an emotional thing but a practical one.
Push that point if needed, too. If you're all good friends then that friendship should not break over wanting the game to be less nebulous
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules interpretation