Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #11
The Colonel

Default Re: Room Clearing combat-any tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
You may want to look for GURPS SWAT, it have a small chapter about exactly that you will be doing.
That will be it - SWAT not Cops.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
That will be it - SWAT not Cops.
Yeah, I second SWAT and Tactical Shooting. From tactical shooting, take a look at "Standard Operating Procedure", even if you don't take it, it might give you a better idea on "how you are expected to act".

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #13
acrosome

There is the SOP Perk, for how the various party members routinely approach a breach. I think that was in Tactical Shooting, which I also highly recommend.

Preceding everything with a grenade is very situation dependent. In a hostage situation? Obviously, no, you don't lead with a fragmentation grenade. But otherwise, yes, a grenade of some sort precedes you into every room. And it is worth mentioning that modern flashbangs are very small and light so yes you can carry a sack full of them. And it is no sin to flashbang a hostage...
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #14
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
There is the SOP Perk, for how the various party members routinely approach a breach. I think that was in Tactical Shooting, which I also highly recommend.

Preceding everything with a grenade is very situation dependent. In a hostage situation? Obviously, no, you don't lead with a fragmentation grenade. But otherwise, yes, a grenade of some sort precedes you into every room. And it is worth mentioning that modern flashbangs are very small and light so yes you can carry a sack full of them. And it is no sin to flashbang a hostage...
That's true, I admit I was defaulting to fragmentation grenades being carried as part of a load-out when I brought up the weight point!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #15
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
And it is no sin to flashbang a hostage...
Well there is a risk of lasting damage. HT-5 rolls will critically fail now and then.

But definitely a much smaller sin than hitting the hostage with a fragmentation (or white phosphorous...) grenade.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
khorboth

For the sake of speed I might consider a will roll or a series of will rolls.

Start at will +10 because it's expected to be a hostile situation. maybe let the "leader" roll leadership and add his margin of success to everybody else's will rolls. Throw in modifiers like fatigue and any experience they may have had with this particular group of nasties.

Then start ticking it down at one per room that doesn't have combat. If 15 empty rooms have been cleared, roll at -15 from the original bonuses. Once combat finally happens, each PC makes a will roll. On success, they act normally. On failure:

Fail by 1-3: stunned for 1 round
Fail by 3-5: mental stun & slightly incorrect facing
Fail by 5-10: Mental stun and out of position by 1 hex
Fail by 10+: Out of position by 1 hex per additional 5 points of failure and facing any way the GM sees fit.

Alternately, roll for every room and give the leader a chance to "snap people back in line."

This reflects the slow erosion of discipline as a team clears a building. A small to medium house is not a problem, but a skyscraper would be. It keeps the game moving and builds some tension with the players. It makes them try to pick wisely while not removing consequences.

Maybe there's something better in the recommended books, I don't have them.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #17
hoganbball23

Nice all of that is super helpful thanks all!

And yes, i was invisioning a flashbang, not a frag. Whooboy!
hoganbball23 is offline   Reply With Quote