Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-21-2015, 05:23 AM   #1
Danny Starwars

Default Utter Noobie Help

Hi there - is there somewhere I could find bare-bones instructions on how the cards work?

By that I mean the clear, concrete details regarding what's in your hand and what's on the table. [If needed I can explain things that seem confusing to me].

I am guessing this has been asked before - is there a thread I can be directed to?

I am brand new to the game (never played) and have the Munchkin Deluxe set.
Danny Starwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Utter Noobie Help

Okay, the basics:

You can normally have one Class, one Race, one Big Item, and any number of small Items (those not marked as Big) in play. All Items have a gold piece value and if you have Munchkin Deluxe, then you have a set new enough that the Race and Class cards will be marked.

Half-Breed and Super Munchkin also can be in play, as long as you have at least one Race or Class (respectively) in play with them, and those cards will also allow you to have a second Race or Class (respectively) in play.

Finally, there are two Treasure cards (in Munchkin and Munchkin Deluxe, there are more in other sets) which give permanent bonuses (Hireling and Really Impressive Title) but are not Items. You may keep those in play like they were Items (this is stated in the rules).

All other cards must remain in your hand until it's appropriate to play them.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Danny Starwars

Much appreciated! Actually, since posting, I found Wil Wheaton's video Table Talk video and I've been watching that a few times to get the gist of it, too.

Thanks for the help!
Danny Starwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Please bear in mind through the magic of editing, and for the need to streamline play so that a long filming day doesn't turn into two long filming days, there are certain things that happen in that episode which are not actually legal in Munchkin. You should not use that show as a source for rulings, or even an idea on how to handle more complicated aspects of play, only for getting the minimal basics down. I never refer back to that episode as a great example of how the game should actually be played, and would rather people look at the flash demo found here. I'd meant to refer to it before, but now you have it.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 05-26-2015 at 03:06 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote