Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Supers] Help on creating an character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
HT 17, Unkillable 3, and the other advantages listed toward the end of the Unkillable entry should get you most of the way to what you want. Add Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (Immunity) [30] and season liberally with levels of Extra Life and HP as desired.
I agree with Unkillable, for sure. I wouldn't buy Extra Lives, though, at least not at full price - with Unkillable, they're pretty redundant. What I would suggest, however, is buying Extra Lives at the 1/5th cost for Alternate Abilities (alternate to your Unkillable), and let each one represent one "instant resurrection, no waiting": when you "die" (that is, are reduced to -10XHP), you lose the 5 points, but are immediately restored to the condition you were before you took that last hit, without needing to wait for your body to be restored through natural healing or regeneration.

Other ideas for powers:

A "lifesteal" ability. I'd build this as some level of Regeneration, either Very Fast or Extreme, with a Trigger limitation of "only when you deal the deathblow to a living being", and a limitation that capped the healing from the Regeneration to only the amount of HP the killed character had.

A "death-sense". This would let you detect living and undead creatures, and analyze the amount of "death" in them - detecting how close to death from natural causes someone was, picking up on diseases that would naturally eventually kill them, and so on.

A "Death Mask", that let you assume the form of Death and terrify everyone nearby who feared death. This would be Terror, with a limitation to only work on the living or undead who liked being animated.

A "reaping" attack, that takes out all lesser living enemies in a certain area around you. I'd build this as a Toxic attack doing about 6d of damage, with Cosmic: Ignores DR, and the "All or Nothing" limitation (this is from Thaumatology: Sorcery, p. 17, and in this case would be worth -10%), meaning that if the damage was enough to force a death check, they'd have to roll it, but if it wasn't enough, or the death check roll succeeded, the targets wouldn't take any damage at all.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #12
mr beer

I'd take a teleport ability limited to "Moving through darkness", seems like a good flavour.

Immortal is just Unkill 3, Unaging, Immune to Metabolic, Regen and Regrowth. Doesn't Eat and Doesn't Sleep are good Death aspects.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #13
Kelly Pedersen

Another thing you could put on Unkillable, if you think it would help your character concept, would be "Not Unkillable 1". Basically, it means you don't get the benefits of Unkillable 1 for your Unkillable 2 or 3 - you still make death checks at -1XHP through -4XHP, and automatically fail at -5XHP. It's just, you don't actually die when you fail a check, you just go to your "unbreakable skeleton" or "disembodied spirit" state, and start healing up until you're back in the game. This has been generally agreed to be worth -20% as a limitation for Unkillable 2 or 3. It basically means you'll end up "dead" more often, but that could actually be kind of cool - it means you'll have more chances to actually show off that immortality.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #14
Tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Another thing you could put on Unkillable, if you think it would help your character concept, would be "Not Unkillable 1". Basically, it means you don't get the benefits of Unkillable 1 for your Unkillable 2 or 3 - you still make death checks at -1XHP through -4XHP, and automatically fail at -5XHP. It's just, you don't actually die when you fail a check, you just go to your "unbreakable skeleton" or "disembodied spirit" state, and start healing up until you're back in the game. This has been generally agreed to be worth -20% as a limitation for Unkillable 2 or 3. It basically means you'll end up "dead" more often, but that could actually be kind of cool - it means you'll have more chances to actually show off that immortality.
Great idea Bro. I will do that.

Now, i have to think on a power to know if the persons is guilty of crimes and if it deserve to die lol
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #15
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

Now, i have to think on a power to know if the persons is guilty of crimes and if it deserve to die lol
Detect Criminal (reverse-Vision limited, analyzing, etc) is surprisingly cheap, and potentially game breaking unless the main villain uses robots for everything.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Detect Criminal (reverse-Vision limited, analyzing, etc) is surprisingly cheap, and potentially game breaking unless the main villain uses robots for everything.
I wouldn't use Detect Criminal. I'd use something more akin to Detect Aura; the "darker" the aura, the more likely the guy is in need of killing, but you'd still need to do some legwork in order to get confirmation. Mind, there is a legal issue over whether someone who has just gotten out of prison after serving his time still considered a "criminal" or an "ex-criminal". Does the patron entity make such a distinction?

Also, by "criminal", does the patron entity include jaywalkers and someone homeless who filches food for survival, or just the rapists, arsonists, and serial killers? What about someone who pirates prior-edition D&D PDFs but is otherwise law-abiding?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #17
Culture20

In the campaign I ran where one player wanted Detect Criminal (which isn’t too far off from Ghost Rider’s detection of guilt; each has loopholes the GM can use), I ruled that it covered all crime, and only crime as defined by laws within a jurisdiction (the character was a cosmic judge). He would ignore minor crimes (analyzing) like we might ignore greens and blues when looking for the color red. Funny point of note: their first mission was to assassinate Adolf Hitler at the German Olympics, which technically was murder. This PC pulled the trigger, so he literally saw himself as a murderer and a conspirator and his teammates as accomplices and conspirators for saving a timeline from WWII (and Hate Monger). Thankfully he didn’t have Ghost Rider’s burning desire to punish any transgression.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote