Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Grouchy Chris

Default AoA with a Ready in place of one attack?

Would you allow a character to substitute a Ready maneuver for one an attack while taking All-Out Attack? If you wouldn't allow it in general, would you allow it as a Perk?

The reason I ask is because I want to create a technique that combines freeing a stuck pick (a ready maneuver per B405) with a Push Kick (MA78) that trades a -2 penalty on the Push Kick roll for a +1 to ST on the roll to free the pick. What do you think?
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
MatthewVilter

Default Re: AoA with a Ready in place of one attack?

I would just say that if you knockback your opponent you now need to roll a quick-contest of ST as if your opponent tried to move as per page B406, but if you win weapon comes free and does damage. If this seems to easy I would build the Push Kick as a technique with a Special Benefit for -1 as per MA91. In ether case I would leave AOA (Double) and Ready out of it.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Dustin

This sounds fine to me. In general, I think it's OK to treat attacks, feints, and readies as being interchangeable, except when there's some obvious abuse.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
This sounds fine to me. In general, I think it's OK to treat attacks, feints, and readies as being interchangeable, except when there's some obvious abuse.
Do you have any experience with feints as part of a combination? If so I would like to hear about it!
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #5
The Benj

I agree about Feints (except possibly in Defensive Attack, unless someone can come up with a drawback), but I'm less sure about Ready.
Then again, an All-Out Ready does sound useful for being able to totally focus on what you're doing to the exclusion of defense.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #6
Bruno

Mlangsdorf added some extra maneuvers to his DF game, which I'm stealing liberally for my DF game.

This includes some new Ready-based maneuvers:

All-Out Ready: The character takes a Ready action as a free action and may still take his full maneuver. However, he loses all defenses until his next turn. This cannot be combined with an All Out Attack, Committed Attack, Defensive Attack, or All Out Defense.

Committed Ready: The character readies an object as a free action and may use it to attack; readying the object requires a DX+2 roll. He may move one step. Failure means that he still readies the object, but his turn ends and he suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. The character may not retreat or use the object to defend, and gets -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Move and Ready: The character takes a Ready action as part of a Move. This requires an unmodified DX roll; failure means he fails to ready the object at all, but still suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. He may not use the object to defend, may not retreat, and suffers -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Extra Effort - Fast Ready: The character spends 1 FP and rolls DX; on a success, he readies an object as a free action. On a failure, he readies the object as if with a standard Ready maneuver. There are no penalties to attack or defense. This is an 'offensive' Extra Effort option.

Note that the big difference here with All Out Ready And Attack and replacing one of the attacks in AoA:Dual is that AORaA only lets you take the Attack maneuvers step for movement, not a full half move as you can get with AOA. You're doing a lot at once, asking to do half move as well is a bit much.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Mlangsdorf added some extra maneuvers to his DF game, which I'm stealing liberally for my DF game.

This includes some new Ready-based maneuvers:

All-Out Ready: The character takes a Ready action as a free action and may still take his full maneuver. However, he loses all defenses until his next turn. This cannot be combined with an All Out Attack, Committed Attack, Defensive Attack, or All Out Defense.

Committed Ready: The character readies an object as a free action and may use it to attack; readying the object requires a DX+2 roll. He may move one step. Failure means that he still readies the object, but his turn ends and he suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. The character may not retreat or use the object to defend, and gets -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Move and Ready: The character takes a Ready action as part of a Move. This requires an unmodified DX roll; failure means he fails to ready the object at all, but still suffers the defensive penalties for this maneuver. He may not use the object to defend, may not retreat, and suffers -2 to other defenses until his next turn.

Extra Effort - Fast Ready: The character spends 1 FP and rolls DX; on a success, he readies an object as a free action. On a failure, he readies the object as if with a standard Ready maneuver. There are no penalties to attack or defense. This is an 'offensive' Extra Effort option.

Note that the big difference here with All Out Ready And Attack and replacing one of the attacks in AoA:Dual is that AORaA only lets you take the Attack maneuvers step for movement, not a full half move as you can get with AOA. You're doing a lot at once, asking to do half move as well is a bit much.
Some interesting ideas, but I don't much like the way they're put together. Changing whole maneuvers into "free" actions bothers me. I'd rather allow Ready as an alternative to an attack so you could AoA (Double) to:
-Ready then Attack
-Attack then Ready; or
-Take two Ready actions

Or you could AoA (Determined) to get +4 to your DX roll for whatever you're doing to Ready. This mostly seems like it would be useful if you're in Close combat and REALLY want to be sure of drawing that weapon, but other uses could come up.

One could even make a case for AoA (Strong) to pick heavy something up fast, but that could still be just taking two Ready actions to halve the time it takes. *shrug*
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Grouchy Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
Some interesting ideas, but I don't much like the way they're put together. Changing whole maneuvers into "free" actions bothers me. I'd rather allow Ready as an alternative to an attack so you could AoA (Double) to:
-Ready then Attack
-Attack then Ready; or
-Take two Ready actions
This is more or less what I was thinking. Comparing Attack with Ready, either maneuver, on its own, allows a step of movement and any defense. So if I can abandon all defenses to get two attacks on a turn, why not an attack and a ready? It's the simultaneous use to ready a pick and attack with Push Kick that I'm not so sure about. It feels like it ought to be a technique on its own.
Grouchy Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
This is more or less what I was thinking. Comparing Attack with Ready, either maneuver, on its own, allows a step of movement and any defense. So if I can abandon all defenses to get two attacks on a turn, why not an attack and a ready? It's the simultaneous use to ready a pick and attack with Push Kick that I'm not so sure about. It feels like it ought to be a technique on its own.
Isn't using AoA to do two things simultaneously established for knocking heads together? It certainly seems reasonable anyway.

Not that that precludes deciding to treat kicking someone off your pick as a technique.

Tags
all-out attack, push kick, ready, techniques