Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Tyneras

Default Continuous Armor Divisors

Currently, Armor divisors go in distinct steps (2, 3, 5, 10, 100, Infinite), with Hardened reduced them by those same steps

However, the most recent Pyramid gave us Survivable Guns, and the recalculations could give an AD that was not a perfect step (4 or 6). I have also seen examples where calculations have given ADs like 1.7 (although I think those might have been 3rd edition calculations).

Now, I like continuous, as opposed to stepped, functions for these sorts of things. I would rather not have to shoehorn these "non-standard" ADs into the current stepped system, and rather modify the system such that they fit in seamlessly.

To me, the obvious solution is to ditch the current stepped system and make both Armor Divisor and Hardened have a flat +% cost per +1 of each, with "Ignores Armor" being a completely separate enhancement for things like ghost particle beams and super powers, probably with a matching "Perfect Hardening" for armor that counters it, separate from Cosmic Damage and Cosmic DR.

This would mess with the math, however. To me, the obvious solution is to simply subtract Hardened from Armor Divisor, but I don't know if that runs afoul of consequences I cannot foresee, or maybe doesn't reflect reality somehow.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated before I start converting things over to this more granular system.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor divisor