Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
bladeaal

Default Wizard questions

Hello everybody,

I got 2 questions about the wizard class.

1st question: A wizard can charm a monster instead of fighting it. Let's say that there is a level 16 and a level 10 monster you have to fight. Then you can use your wizards charm spell to charm a single monster instead of fighting it. So you then charm the level 16 monster. The wizard card say's that you have to discard your whole hand (minimum of 3 cards) to charm. And after you've done that you can take it's treasure and then you continue the fight with the monster(s) that you didnt charm.
Now my question is: You may use the treasure cards that are one shot items and actions in this fight with the remaining monsters that you just drawn from the charmed monster?

2nd question: It also has to do with charming again. Because in this case your a wizard and you have a level 18 monster, +5 to monster (with 2 extra treasures) and a two headed card in your hand.
Is it alowed in this case that you play the monster then play a +5 to monster on the monster and then making it 2 headed and immediately charm it without giving anyone the change to play a card like deus ex machinegun on it. And offcourse take the 12 treasure's because of the charm spell?
bladeaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Baradrae

Default Re: Wizard questions

As for your first question - You don't get the treasure until the combat is completely over. So you wouldn't be able to use any of them to charm the other monster.
Baradrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Baradrae is correct, and the rules say this about it:
Quote:
You cannot collect rewards for defeating a monster (e.g., Treasure, levels) in the middle of a combat. You must finish the fight before gaining any rewards.
This is said in the callout box on the first page that discusses rules that can't be overridden by a card unless the card explicitly says it overrides one of those rules.

As for your second question: It is legal as long as you do each action separately and not try to play the and charm all at once. If you fast play a lot like that, the other players may not want to play with you too much. However: They still have a chance to stop you. You have to give them a reasonable amount of time to do just that after winning a combat (and, yes, you can win even if you don't kill the Monster(s)*). That Monster has been charmed, and is, technically, out of the combat, but the other players can do things to affect whether you're done combat just yet. They can add more Monsters to the combat (with Wandering Monster cards, of course) or find other ways to stymie you as long as they don't try to modify the Monster you charmed.

*"Sometimes a card, or a Class or Race power, will let you get rid of the monster without killing it. This is still “winning,” but you don’t get a level. Sometimes, depending on the card, you might not get the treasure, either."
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-24-2011 at 05:02 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
bladeaal

I understand that but the wizard card says the following.

You may discard your whole hand (minimum of 3 cards) to charm a single Monster instead of fighting it. Discard the Monster and take its Treasure, but don't gain levels. If there are other monsters in the combat, fight them normally.

When I read the card and do it step by step I see it like this.

1. Discard your whole hand (minimum of 3 cards)
2. The monster is now charmed and discarded.
3. Take its treasures but don't gain a level.
4. If there are monsters left in the combat fight them normally.

So the card says that you can take the treasure so then you take the treasure and then it say's you must fight the remaining monsters normally, so when I read this card my conclusion is that its overrules the rule that you can only take treasure after you defeated all the monsters.

Thanks for the answers
Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

The Wizard card does not explicitly state it overrides the rule, so it does not. More to the point, the Wizard hasn't overridden that rule for almost 10 years.

However, to clarify even further, the callout box says: "However, ignore any card effect that might seem to contradict one of the rules listed below unless the card explicitly says it supersedes that rule!" So, yes, the Wizard seems to contradict the rule, however it doesn't say that it explicitly supersedes it, so you must ignore it.

An example of a card that explicitly states it is breaking one of the unbreakable rules is Divine Intervention.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-24-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
bladeaal

Ok I understand now.

Thanks for the reply's :D

Greets Alex.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
kana63

If Wizard charmed one monster, and must run away from other, did he still get treasure from charmed monster? And what if he failed to run away and bad stuff is dead?

Last edited by kana63; 12-03-2013 at 06:17 AM.
kana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

The rules say this about fighting multiple Monsters, "If you eliminate one with a card or your Race or Class power, but then run from the other(s), you don’t get any Treasure!"
MiB #1029
Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
kana63

thank you, I did not detailed read rules.
kana63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
abbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeaal View Post

When I read the card and do it step by step I see it like this.

1. Discard your whole hand (minimum of 3 cards)
Our cards don't say anything about minimum of 3 cards for the wizard's charm ability. Is there a newer or updated version?
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charm, treasure