Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-11-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
Embassy of Time

Default Designing a campaign toolkit for teens, HELP!

As part of my campaign setting designed for some teens, I was also asked to put together a kind of quick'n'dirty kit to create a full campaign (and something they can write stories in, because apparently all teens now aspire to be writers?!? Where was that trend in my youth?!!) more easily. I was putting together old writings under the Fictional Universe Creation Kit title when I noticed the unfortunate acronym. Two questions:

1: Keeping in mind that I have a weird love for acronyms, please suggest any alternate titles to the project.

2: What would you want from or put into a toolkit for quick setting and campaign creation? They are not fans of the size of my GURPS books, I fear...
Embassy of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
JulianLW

Default Re: Designing a campaign toolkit for teens, HELP!

Fictional Universe by the Numbers:

https://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2...y-sandbox.html
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:02 AM   #3
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
Thanks! Are there similar ones for other genres, like Cyberpunk or post-apocalyptic?
Old 03-12-2023, 06:53 AM   #4
JulianLW

I'm sure you could find something like that, but I just thought of this blog series because of your post.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
whswhs

I think it depends on what kind of toolkit they want.

* Do they want a bunch of tables where they can roll dice and make up planets, or landscape features, or animals/monsters/aliens, or cities, or dungeon rooms and their contents, or civilizations, or whatever?

* Do they want recommendations on what questions to ask to come up with an imagined world that's logically consistent, from which they can extrapolate all of the above?

* Do they want help in improvising content that fits the development of a narrative?

* Do they want something else that I haven't thought of?

Your audience might be able to tell you what will meet their needs better than I can. Not knowing how they think, I can't count on answering the right question.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think it depends on what kind of toolkit they want.

* Do they want a bunch of tables where they can roll dice and make up planets, or landscape features, or animals/monsters/aliens, or cities, or dungeon rooms and their contents, or civilizations, or whatever?

* Do they want recommendations on what questions to ask to come up with an imagined world that's logically consistent, from which they can extrapolate all of the above?
Kinda yes to both. They seem to want something they can put together quickly from modular parts. Think Minecraft-style "quick house made from simple blocks", if that makes sense?
Old 03-12-2023, 12:17 PM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy of Time View Post
Kinda yes to both. They seem to want something they can put together quickly from modular parts. Think Minecraft-style "quick house made from simple blocks", if that makes sense?
Unfortunately, not a lot. I've seen the title Minecraft but I've never looked at it; I'm not even quite sure what sort of product it is, though I suppose it's some kind of game.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #8
JulianLW

You might find this blog helpful, if you are wanting tables for all kinds of whacky stuff. The most recent entry is actually maybe exactly what you're looking for, though the items in the tables on this blog are not always age-appropriate for youngsters.

Elfmaids and Octopi ("Slightly Nasty Oldschool Gaming Blog")

http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2023, 04:28 PM   #9
Embassy of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Unfortunately, not a lot. I've seen the title Minecraft but I've never looked at it; I'm not even quite sure what sort of product it is, though I suppose it's some kind of game.
It's just buildig blocks. Asking themto build a house from fondation up with boards and glass panes and all might be too much, but give them some blocks they can stack up to form a house and they're on board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianLW View Post
You might find this blog helpful, if you are wanting tables for all kinds of whacky stuff. The most recent entry is actually maybe exactly what you're looking for, though the items in the tables on this blog are not always age-appropriate for youngsters.

Elfmaids and Octopi ("Slightly Nasty Oldschool Gaming Blog")

http://elfmaidsandoctopi.blogspot.com/
Neat!! Already reading it. And they are late teens, so they watch inappropriate things already....