Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Introducing Hirelings

Hirelings cost $7.99. ;)

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
Stripe

First of all, I love Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchman. Behind Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables, I think it's my next favorite DF book.

In answer to the question, I suggest them directly, especially the "heal bot." Just come right out and say it: "You guys need more healing. Get a hireling."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I gave my players a price list for available hirings.
This is what I will do as well in an upcoming DF game. I'll make a short list and give each a description, but won't let the players see their sheet. Like in real life, we don't always know everyone's strengths and weaknesses.

For example, two toch bearer Henchmen from DF 15. One has a lot of combat skills and strength (within the limits of the template). The other has almost all "helper" type skills. The first, I'd describe as a short yet strapping man with a black beard in mail holding a shield, cleaver of a sword sheathed at his hip. The second I'd describe as an old wiry salt with thin, gray hair and a wide assortment of lanterns, candles and torches packed into every pocket, pouch and belt hook. Pick one. Or, both; it's your money.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
DF15 perhaps?
Bingo! Already owned it, it was just living on the wrong computer. I knew I had seen this stuff somewhere...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Hirelings with Initiative --

It's quite possible that if the PC's have been in town a while, haven't tried to hide their activities, and have kept returning with cash in pocket that some local lads with a bit of gumption might approach them looking for a job. For variety they might be untrustworthy operators -- willing to inform on/sell out the PCs for a few coins. Or, they might be willing to fake loyalty long enough to rob the PCs once they've earned the latter's trust and are left behind with valuables (including horses, tack, etc.)

Or, if well treated, they might prove loyal unto death. Having them die due to a PC's mistake might be a good drama element.

Quote:
The second I'd describe as an old wiry salt with thin, gray hair and a wide assortment of lanterns, candles and torches packed into every pocket, pouch and belt hook. Pick one. Or, both; it's your money.
Think about Walter Brennan in almost every role he has played. Also, however, a set of small tools -- "Jes lemme at that lock a li'l while . . . I'll have 'er open." "Nasty cut in them breeches, sor; doff 'em a second and I'll have it mended soonest." "Don't try and pull it out, sor -- that's a barbed arrowhead. Now I ain't no barber, but I've taken a few of 'em out in my time -- and the fellers lived thereafter, too."

Last edited by fredtheobviouspseudonym; 04-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, henchmen